Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5

+4
Smus
Simcik
Ex US Squid
Avanti 63r1025
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5 Empty Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 pm

This is interesting news a la the forzamotorsport.net forums,
CJ Cowan wrote:Firelight Technologies, the leader in audio in the video games industry , presented its new audio software suite optimized for the new Xbox One, and at the same time, his partnership with Turn 10 Studios for the development Forza Motorsport 5, promising already exceptional sound quality for the fifth episode of the Forza series freshly unveiled Tuesday.

However, the basis for a realistic engine sound in a video game is obviously to use sounds from the real world. This is what Turn 10 applies to the series for Forza Motorsport. Indeed, the developer does not hesitate to visit the surrounding garages laden with microphones to play the game of "Dyno Sessions" so impressive. The latest? That of a Ford Mustang with a monstrous 358ci NASCAR Cup performed at The Mustang Shop on May 16 in Auburn, United States. Video!
Everybody will get a kick out of this, as it's prepared for AIX class, though it looks like it's right up Stalker's alley. I only hope Turn 10 also has other cars from other makes slated to take this NASCAR Cup engine swap.

This is the description from the first video,
"Microsoft's FORZA Team was in house at The Mustang Shop today, doing some dyno recording of our TMS 358ci NASCAR Cup engine powered 2008 Mustang.

They need all different kinds of pulls and sustained rpm recordings. They record from tons of positions outside the car, inside and under the trans and diff. Then they mix them together in their software to create the cars lifelike sounds during game play."

I hope I'm interpreting this correctly. As I read it, it sounds to me that we'll hear more gear whine. Anyone concur?
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5 Empty Re: Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5

Post  Ex US Squid Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 pm

DUDE that Mustang sounds like a V-8 on steroids just did a line of coke.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue May 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:I hope I'm interpreting this correctly. As I read it, it sounds to me that we'll hear more gear whine. Anyone concur?

Exactly, that was something FM4 was missing out on.... Also that 1500 or so RPM swap of sound clips I hope is done away with or smoothed out more. Some sounded very abrupt and noticeable as if they were swapping CDs in a disc changer haha. I want that Mustang in FM5
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Gamespot released an interview with the Turn 10 team today.
http://www.gamespot.com/videoembed/6409324
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

HOLY. SHIT.

I think they actually listened...

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/FM5_at_E3

http://kotaku.com/forza-5s-driveatar-will-mimic-your-style-for-others-512312343

Drivatar is back - REPLACING THE AI!!! Sounds like we could race each other anytime we want to. Awesome!

Also, "Advanced Simulation" is always nice to hear.

It looks like Autovista (Now Forzavista) is staying - which has its perks, so I'm okay with it - and will now be available for every car.

Damage looks even better.

"World-Famous Circuits" hopefully means "Real-World-Famous Cicruits."

So, big question now - can aero be fixed in the pits? I think we can all agree that that is one of the biggest gripes we have. Hopefully they address it.

Oh, and whoever guess London - close, but it's Prague.

Tracks now change as you race them - accumulating rubber, debris, etc.

Storefront content is tailored to you, so if you gravitate toward a certain style of paint or type of car, etc., those are what you find the easiest. (Kinda neat, I guess...)
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/FM5/Features.aspx

Under Your Ultimate Car Fantasy section is this gem,
ForzaMotorsport.net wrote:The most diverse lineup of vehicles ever seen in a Forza Motorsport game: from classic sports cars to moder tuners, purpose-built racers to extreme exotics and, for the first time in "Forza Motorsport," open-wheel race cars.
I suppose we can safely say the Xbox One is powerful enough to display a working suspension.

There are open-wheel race cars (Formula Ford and Star Mazda come to mind) without being official Indy or Formula 1 chassis. We'll have to see what open-wheel platform(s) make it though I'm excited.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 am

One thing I am curious about, Smart Matchmaking...

Didn't they try that in FM3? At the expense of user-created races???

Let's hope they didn't trash the customization stuff. If they didn't, then no worries...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 am

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/FM5/Features.aspx

Under Your Ultimate Car Fantasy section is this gem,
ForzaMotorsport.net wrote:The most diverse lineup of vehicles ever seen in a Forza Motorsport game: from classic sports cars to moder tuners, purpose-built racers to extreme exotics and, for the first time in "Forza Motorsport," open-wheel race cars.
I suppose we can safely say the Xbox One is powerful enough to display a working suspension.

There are open-wheel race cars (Formula Ford and Star Mazda come to mind) without being official Indy or Formula 1 chassis. We'll have to see what open-wheel platform(s) make it though I'm excited.

YES!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Yea the suspension is a big deal after seeing what Polyphony has done with the PS3 based GT6. The trailer looks really good so if thats current gen tech then I have to expect a much better product in FM5 on next gen horsepower! Also look at the ALMS Cars in the GT trailer.... what does this mean for Turn 10? Hmmm I really really REALLY hope that its not a Sony exclusive. I cant imagine that being true but money can change that.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Just confirmed on the Twitch interview: No night racing and no adverse weather conditions. Dan did say driving lights were modeled.

The A.I. drivatar constantly learns from the cloud. They'll learn from griefers too but Dan did mention there are some hard coded "No-No's" that the A.I. won't do, like driving backwards. Essentially what this means is:
  • If a majority of people in the Forza Motorsport 5 world take Sears Point turns 7 and 11 as late apex hairpins, that's what the A.I. will do.
  • If a majority of people in the Forza Motorsport 5 world take Sears Point turns 7 and 11 as double apex hairpins, that's what the A.I. will do.
Edit below containing the Twitch interview:
http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/415729737

Another edit to include the IGN interview:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/11/forza-5-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2013

A third edit coming when forzamotorsport.net posts their open wheel announcement tonight.
PS) Tony Kanaan was at the Forza Motorsport 5 event and Tweeted a photo as proof.
Anticipating Forza Motorsport 5 BMhnPUuCEAAjhMx
Indy and historic Grand Prix cars coming.
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/Open_Wheel_6_11_13
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 am

Well, Avanti, its a Happy/Sad post you put up.

Happy and excited for open wheeled cars and having IRL licensing is HUGE IMO.

Sad that there is, again, no weather or dynamic time option.

I'm just hopeful that after T10 gets a better grasp of the X1s power that Forza 6 will have it.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:55 am

Well Smus, here's even more bad news and this is going to sound oh, so, familiar. Porsche. Is. Out. There must be licensing issues out someone's huge wazoo. Microsoft Game Studios, Electronic Arts, and Porsche all need to find some mutual middle ground.

While more Mazdas are raced on any given weekend than other manufacturers, Porsche ranks high in racing history and in factory support.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:56 am

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:Well Smus, here's even more bad news and this is going to sound oh, so, familiar. Porsche. Is. Out. There must be licensing issues out someone's huge wazoo. Microsoft Game Studios, Electronic Arts, and Porsche all need to find some mutual middle ground.

While more Mazdas are raced on any given weekend than other manufacturers, Porsche ranks high in racing history and in factory support.

Well that's not really surprising...after the last debacle it would have been too much to figure it out.  Hopefully theyll have RUF and the Yellowbird, oh wait, they'll just DLC that so we get to pay more again.

/bitter consumer

At least were getting IRL cars and old F1 cars
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm

From our Next Gen Xbox thread:
Simcik wrote:I do not want to have to draw that Shiner ram again. Let me keep my vinyls!!!
Nope. Motorworldhype's interview with Dan confirmed we cannot import FM4 files into FM5. The architecture between Xbox 360 and Xbox One is too different so Forza Motorsport 5 will be a ground floor effort. I actually kind of like this as it will eliminate the garbage floating around since Forza Motorsport 2, and I suspect changes will have been made to the livery editor.

From this news I offer a solution. Who's a day one Forza Motorsport 5 adopter? I know I'm in. Squid threw his wallet at Microsoft after May's announcement; I believe he's in. Let's collectively remake our 'lost' vinyls, collaborating on some while dividing and conquering on others. If you have the ability, connect the 360 and the One to different inputs on your TV so you can rapidly switch views between vinyl editors. This way you can view the old vinyl pieces: how they're rotated, shaped, skewed, and colored, and apply those figures to the new game. We should be able to knock out a lot of vinyls / liveries in a relatively short amount of time.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDFenderBender Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:52 pm

finances are the only thing holding me back from getting a console at the moment. But I would totally help out with this though.
OLDFenderBender
OLDFenderBender

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:55 pm

I too will be a day 1 adopter and will be throwing my wallet at Microsoft.

Best part about your idea Avanti...we might be able to voice command the X1 between itself and the 360.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:06 am

You might be right there, Smus. I would imagine it could work that way only if your 360 was connected to an input port on your One, which was connected to your television. I was thinking of using a separate input port on my television and then using its remote control to switch between inputs.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Well, I'm in for that - Shiner will be the first thing I work on, as it was the most difficult.

HOLY CRAP! Anyone else posted a message today? You need to. The Forum made some changes I guess.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 pm

It's been like this since, about Thursday. Very Happy
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Well, my bad...

Anyway. So, wonder if we'll still have limited shapes to work with, or if it will be more of an open canvas or image editor type?
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 am

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/meet-the-man-who-makes-forza-2013-06-18

"Anything that they pretty much say yeah, you can go buy a chrome wrap, or you can go buy a carbon fibre wrap, a matte wrap, so those just got a pass immediately, because you can do this today. Then we started looking at more wild things, and honestly the jury's still out. We're a very passionate team, and we're still debating a lot of these. We saw some cool ones though, like raw fibre glass, that dull, milky fibre glass, with the little pieces of fibre that go through it. We had that, and put it on the outside of a car, and it looked... funny? We liked it. But, I don't know, something about it didn't look right from a distance so, I'm not saying if it's in or it's out, we're just currently looking at those right now."

This would be sweet, I hope they do it. I'd wrap a C3 in bare fibre glass. And speaking of bare fibre glass, I have to get my ass back to Maine and strip the Stude. down to bare fibre glass.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 am

I'm only going to preface this with an "uh-oh."

Interviewer: Thank you for giving the Forza racing community some of your time today. I think I can safely say that this is welcome and exciting news to everyone on the racing side of the Forza franchise.

Dan: Oh, no problem, my pleasure.

Interviewer: So, what took you so long? (laughing) I mean how is it that this may well be the first time you have directly addressed the Forza racing community in 5 iterations of the game?

Dan: (laughing) Uh, well, that’s not exactly the way we see it. We don’t give interviews to the leaders or fans of specific segments of our game as a rule. We haven’t given any interviews to just those in our painting community, or drifting community, which are arguably larger participation groups than what we have in our hardcore racing community. From my view as a game developer we don’t see the hard-line segregation or divisions that I know many in our community tend to see. So for example, we’ve never tried to dictate, guide, or limit what our fans want to do with Forza.

Interviewer: Fair enough. So without a specific vision of what the Forza franchise should generally be, that is, without a specific direction from Turn 10, do you run the risk of being the Jack of all trades, and the master of none in the car simulation genre?

Dan: (laughing) Not at all. We see Forza as being the master of everything offered by any simulation car game available anywhere, whether on a console or PC. Forza stands alone in our opinion because it offers so much more at such a higher level than anything else out there.

Interviewer: I see. Your critics say, that Turn 10 studios, and you specifically, do not entertain those who would be critical of Forza. Going through the records we couldn’t find any hard hitting interviews that offered any constructive criticism of the game before during or after a new release. Is there a reason why you don’t want to address your critics, and would you mind if we took a few shots at you?

Dan: (laughing) I give interviews to every accredited press person I can find in our industry, and I think they do their best to squeeze every morsel of new information out of me they can. You know, the subject matter is, you know, that of a game, it’s not politics or anything; it’s about fun, fun in any of the many ways that you the gamer see fit. So, you’re not usually going to have a lot of tough interviews about having fun I don’t think. So, yeah, go ahead, give me your best shot, or (laughing) shots.

Interviewer: Thanks, we appreciate a gamer who has some game. Considering the intensity of the Forza racing community and racing fans in general, and the success of your competitors Gran Turismo 5 and iRacing, with their heavy emphasis on racing, why doesn’t FM5 follow suit? What is it about the popularity of dedicated simulation racing that you don’t like to try to compete with?

Dan: That’s a rather odd question from my point of view, and here’s why. We really do feel that we’ve covered the bases not just with racing but all aspects of car culture. So, it’s very hard to compare our product to any of the others when they don’t rise to our same level of options and playability. It’s sort of like trying to compare apples to oranges I guess.

Interviewer: So are you saying that there is no room for improvements in the way Forza races, no reason to consider the advances and popularity of your competitors?

Dan: No, we do take a look at what others are doing; it’s just that we prefer a more balanced and broader approach to the genre. We just don’t see Forza as a hardcore narrowly focused simulation racer; we are much more than this.

Interviewer: So what do you say to people who see Forza as simulation-lite, and lacking many of the most basic racing functions and features?

Dan: Well, everyone has their opinions of course, and that’s really part of what Forza is all about. It’s about creating those opinions, which serve to fuel the passion of the genre. I’m not really aware of any basic racing features or options absent from Forza. Can you name some?

Interviewer: Sure, simulated pit stops, tire wear, fuel consumption, damage repairs, flag system, pace car, live tree for drag racing, to name a few.

Dan: Um, I think we do have most of those features in some form. You know, it’s one of those things where we’d like to have every good idea there is, but we have to draw lines too, otherwise we might take 5 years to produce the next version.

Interviewer: Is that a shot at Polyphony?

Dan: I’m just sayin.

Interviewer: Speaking of Polyphony and Kazunori Yamauchi’s Gran Turismo, what do you think of his efforts to blur the line between simulation racers and real racers with their wildly popular GT Acadamy contests, and would you ever be willing or interested in doing something similar?

Dan: It’s an interesting effort, and to be honest one that never crossed our minds. I don’t know that we would ever be attracted to doing something like that now that it has already been done.

Interviewer: What is your personal opinion of GT5?

Dan: Oh, I think it is a very good game. I’m a fan of the series. It is why I got into this business.

Interviewer: Do you think the feeling is mutual with Kazunori?

Dan: I assume so.

Interviewer: Getting back to the lack of racing features in Forza, will you be updating or adding them to FM5?

Dan: Um, (laughing) I don’t agree with your premise. Forza has all or most of the racing features you mentioned.

Interviewer: Not exactly. Yes, you do have pit stops, but they are computer controlled. You have tire wear, but without significant degradation. You have fuel consumption, but just barely, as though every car no matter the power or use of that power gets the same ridiculous mpg. You have damage repair, but only mechanical, and not on the aerodynamics. You have a drag tree, but it doesn’t actually function.

Dan: Fair points, but, but again, Forza (and Forza 5 in particular) offers so much more than these rather minor details and concerns from our niche brothers and sisters on the racing side of Forza life. We feel that the true source of Forza entertainment comes from its overall execution and the emotional connection derived from its unparalleled immersive content. I feel that any details that are allegedly missing are far outweighed by our cutting edge graphics and physics. But it’s not just these critical aspects; it’s also (in the case of FM5) the new power of the Cloud that places us on an entirely new plateau beyond anything anyone has out there. So, I think we can be forgiven if we don’t have every feature under the sun.

Interviewer: Well, speaking for the racers, we don’t really feel you have gone all out, or the extra mile when it comes to the racing features in Forza. The general opinion is that you did just enough to get by so that you can say you have this or that feature, but often totally lacking full functionality. Is this a limitation of the Microsoft hardware, architecture, or software, or is it a lack of racing experience and culture?

Dan: Okay then, tell me how you really feel! (laughing) Seriously, we could make a hardcore race sim, but that’s not what got us here. We can’t take the path that others with less success take; we have to forge our own path. And as much as we try to be everything to everyone whether they are a car guy or not, we can only go so deep with any single feature if you know what I mean.

Interviewer: Yes, I think I do. This is sort of the problem from the sim-racer point of view; and that is Forza isn’t precisely sure what it wants to be. It seems to have strayed far and wide from its original concept back in the day when everyone was quite sure that Forza was a racing simulator not unlike Gran Turismo. By not staying on point or with the original theme over the years, we’ve seen improvements in graphics, physics, GUI, and all sorts of non-racing innovations like the livery editor and auction house features, but very little actual improvements to the racing experience itself. Can you explain this?

Dan: Probably not to the satisfaction of the hardcore racers.

Interviewer: Well let me ask you this then, will racing ever become the preeminent attribute of Forza in the future? Will you ever return to your roots and make simulation racing the reason for Forza again?

Dan: If you’re asking will we ever make a hardcore simulation racer, the answer is no. If you’re asking will we try to attract more people to racing by blending gaming with racing, the answer is yes.

Interviewer: Dan, I see our time is up, and I want thank you for this extended and rather unprecedented interview. I know I was a little tough on you, but you know how the racing community is. We may be your most passionate fans.

Dan: Oh I know. We take more heat from our hardcore racers than any other segment.

Interviewer: That being said, maybe you could cool the fires and offer the hardcore racers a little something extra this time around.

Dan: We always try to.

Interviewer: Well, again thanks for your time, and we will be watching.

Sources:
http://ifca.highforum.net/t5975p30-forza-5
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/6161047.aspx
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  StalkerStang Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm not really all that surprised by what he has said.

I don't really think any console based game is going to be the level of simulation racing a hardcore racer wants. I feel like I lean towards the hardcore side, but not so much that I can't enjoy the game. It as an awesome game and franchise, and I have had lots of fun with it.

What bothers me though is that it seems Dan is aware of what people are complaining about with the game, but they are choosing to brush it off instead of trying to address it. It appears as if most of our racing functions are going to be the same; tire wear, fuel consumption etc. It also seems drag racing is going to continue to be broken for the 3rd straight time.

Honestly I wish they would eliminate those features from the game if they aren't going to execute them properly. Some of the things the interviewer brought up did not seem so hard to fix.

It really looks as if Turn 10 is on their high horse and will continue to do what they want regardless of what the community is asking for.
StalkerStang
StalkerStang

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Yep. It's almost as if the Turn 10 team is creating this game for pre-teen and teenage kids. Those of us older generations strictly had Hot Wheels / Matchbox cars to play with. With the arrival of consoles, younger generations can play with toy cars in ways not possible on one's living room carpet. I've also heard a few times about a Turn 10 focus group. Who's in this focus group? If we knew that we'd know Forza Motorsport's target audience. I was hoping the split between Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport would target a wider gap of customers.

I'll get Forza Motorsport 5 because it's what Forza Motorsport 4 should have been. With that said, I have a hunch that I will separate myself from Forza Motorsport after 5 … unless Turn 10 Studios buckles down and gets serious for a sixth version.

As Stalker brings up, features just thrown in at the taste level are trash. Do it right and do it complete or don't do it at all! If Turn 10 would throw away these single-A ball features they'd have more data space to further develop the areas they're already coding at triple-A or majors level ball.

Some other company needs to enter the console market and create a car / racing title that compiles the best simulation stuff from Gran Turismo, Sports Car GT, iRacing, Forza (Motorsport & Horizon), Race Pro and others, blend those with features from Pro Racing Sim's titles (Drag Sim, Fast Lap Sim, and Desktop Dyno), partner with a sanctioning body like NASA or SCCA, and spit out a definitive hardcore racing simulator for Playstation, Xbox, and to Hell with it, Wii U too.

There's an untapped market for this and it's large enough that whomever creates this game … well, "To the victor go the spoils." Were this game to come out, I bet Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport see their sales start a downward trend.

With consoles adapting blu-ray discs and hard drives becoming larger (and less expensive), I feel a hardcore racing simulation could come to consoles. If there were a way to have a partnering company create a program with the intention of saving and exporting its files to be read by the new simulation, this would split the work load while striving for one larger vision.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Sounds like we should find ourselves a programmer...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next