Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASCAR Discussion

+8
Simcik
HarlenAss
Remaggib
Avanti 63r1025
C4PT41N SL0W
Smus
Ex US Squid
TuxTshirt
12 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: NASCAR Discussion

Post  HarlenAss Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Yeh, I watched. I got about 30 laps in and had to leave to take care of some business. Decided to fire up the DVR, and left. Got back to the race about 9:30 fast forwarded through most of first half, settled in about lap 100 to watch the remainder of the race. Amazing how a liitle aero work changed the racing... No more couples compared to years past. Driver are being über cautious and patient just waiting for the last round of stops before the final mayhem. Cautions out I'm caught up with Smokes new position caught the yellow perfectly his moving to the front. Most everybody's fueled silent and ready...forming up...two more to green...camera moves to back straight...two truck working..42.. BLAM. I'm in total shock as to what I just saw. Montoya has just creamed the shit out of a track truck. IMPOSSIBLE or so I thought !!! His car destroyed, truck destroyed, then I see hundreds of a gallons of fuel gushing down the track...I knew shit was gonna get bad. Fire extinguishers useless...sucker is turning into an inferno. Wasn't till big rig showed up did they have any chance of putting out the conflagration. Man was that tracker worker lucky to get out as he did. Whoa !!!
Hell he any got a cage around him or 5 point harness or neck restraint. What 120 mph. Could have been BAD. I was riveted to the TV for what an hour just to see what was going to remain of the track surface. Ok we get the cars fired and moving...I'm having doubts about the track damage. I'm seeing chat and aggregate coming up as the cars file through. Jr's on the radio he deems turn three unraceable. Here we go. Tony's fallen to mid pack not finding any dance partner, my attention moves to the front hey Jr's in great position go baby go would like him to pick up a career changing win...go baby go. Jr's restart he's all over it, he's up 17's ass before they before they reach the start line. Matt sees Biffle on the outside and shakes off Jr's pushing and picks up teammate. Jr. changes lanes go baby go. Biffle what a wussy. Telling Jr. after racing I just couldn't catch 17 he's on NOS or something. Hell if them cars had brake lights, little girl'ys would be glow red red as his rotors. Nice pass Jr. Should of put Biffy into the wall on your way by. Long story short... I was up till 1:45 after watching the replays over and over. DVR's gotta luv um. Shocked

HarlenAss
HarlenAss

Back to top Go down

Post  HarlenAss Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:Yeah, that was funny. I didn't realize Blaney was as old as he is.

Careful Tux should respect us old folk... MM is my junior. Turning 57 this summer it all in your head.
HarlenAss
HarlenAss

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCajn4NIoo&sns=fb

There ya go Harlen Wink
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm

HarlenAss wrote:
TuxTshirt wrote:Yeah, that was funny. I didn't realize Blaney was as old as he is.

Careful Tux should respect us old folk... MM is my junior. Turning 57 this summer it all in your head.

Yeah, I sure do respect you old folk. lol! I'm starting to ache a little myself.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Hey Avanti, what are those glowing things at the front of those cars in the rain? Also, those weird moving arms on the windshield?

I'm sure you do know of the good reasons that NASCAR doesn't run in the rain. It is annoying, but it is necessary.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:12 am

• Oh yeah, our headlights aren't stickers and red lights shine in back when we depress the middle pedal Very Happy
  • Re: Dale Earnhardt Jr. My uncle says, "He's not really Junior. The only Junior I acknowledge from NASCAR is Junior Johnson." It's pretty funny actually, when he goes off about that.
  • Yep. Rain on a banked surface + slick tires × working through the slip angle × reduced coefficient of friction + track weeping = condiciónes de muy mal; it really is a sport meant for dry conditions. NASCAR fans don't feel bad, I'm an MLB fan and they don't play when the Angels* pee hard, either. Contrast those sports with the NFL and those guys will play when the soft white stuff falls.

*No, not the ones from Anaheim.

I've lost most interest in the sport, though I did watch the "Are you kidding me?" teenager win last year and the NASCAR coverage of Australian V8 supercars. My friend still watches and also follows road racing. In 2008 he brought my attention to the "car of tomorrow." He asked, "Hey, have you seen this car? It has what we'd call a real splitter, a real wing, and a real diffuser equipped, finally!" Now I ask this, "So uh, where'd it go?" I'd also like to see NASCAR ditch the archaic 15" wheels and sidewalls that can stomp street curbs in favor of 17" or 18" wheels with lower profile tires.

I just answered one part of my question by searching images.google for NASCAR CoT (and noticed 2013 auto-appear, so I went with it). I see preliminary mocked pictures of Camaro - Challenger - Mustang in NASCAR trim. Okay, if the France family brought those to the sport I may have to get back into it.
NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Muscle
Courtesy of that site, "The car also received a lot of complaints from the drivers when it was introduced due to completely different handling characteristics." Uh, yeah. Those guys are super geniuses; changes to aerodynamics will do that to a car. Wink

I don't mean to keep using T.K. as an example though his car seems to be the most photographed of that era. Here are the inner workings of every 1990s T-A chassis. They all had a tube frame, a front mid-mount engine (front but behind the axle line), the passenger cabin, then a gas tank and the battery in back. Oh yes, and unilug wheels. This would be a lighter weight version of a NASCAR with less engine displacement built to corner and could race in the rain, just not on banking.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 am

Well Geoff you need to take a peek at the races on Saturday(Nationwide is on your side series) cause the Challenger and Mustangs are there and look freakin sweet if I do say so myself and just to play devils advocate here.... The wings that you like I think look stupid to be honest and also they came to find that the spoiler was just as efficient plus also safer. The wing gave a ton of side downforce that caused unwanted push/pull on the rear of the car so when things got a bit hairy on the mile and a halfs and super speedways of Dega and Daytona that the car became unbalanced and harder to regain that "epic save" possibility. Also I dont to much care for huge honkin rims either and like the wing the 15s have a real purpose. The larger sidewall allows the car to have a bit of cushion as they go barreling into a corners banking at 200mph. Without that bit of cushion the cars grip gets shocked so to speak and would cause the car to slide into the wall. Visually your opinions are your own and no one has a right to tell you yours are less important than any Nascar fans opinion but as far as the tech side, Nascar doesnt mess around with changing something until through testing its proven to be better, safer and provides better racing to the fans. Without those three then like any Big League race series they wont be making a change. But I can explain and counter your thoughts till the aliens come at the end of the year to end the world but that wont change your mind. You dont care for Nascar and I dont care for boring fat guys playing baseball(MLB). Seriously I thought steroids gave you guns not a gut haha. Id lie my tail off and say I loved the sport for a MLB paycheck lol! But to my point to each their own and I like Tux am jacked for the season! And also always jacked for hot girls! We should get some Hot Girls in the series! As race steward these are the things you should be considering. Real hot girls, not some Danica Patricks that are a 6 but when you compare to the dudes in all the other driver suits makes you think shes hotter. I noticed that in service that female pilots seemed like 9s in a flight suit then you see em at a party or the bar and think "What happened? I thought she was hot!" Gotta be the suit. No that Ive probably made everyone think Im a shallow Nascar fan boy I probably should be thinkin about gettin to be Twisted Evil
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 am

I think NASCAR lost it for me when you couldnt tell thr difference between a Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Toyota. To not make a necessary homologation to actual street cars lost that "win on sunday, buy on monday" attitude. I like the new look on the Nationwide cars, and i think with current chassis tech there would be.the ability to build limited number production vehicles that consumers could buy. Id love to rip around in a rwd v8 toyota.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 am

Speaking of the wheels, is NASCAR still running the tube inside the tire to aid in keeping things together when there is a loss of tire pressure?

I gave it an honest try, at least I'm not blindly giving NASCAR the thumps I am. I had the first game Papyrus came out with in 1994 and bought its sequel too.
NASCAR Racing
NASCAR Racing 2

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 NASCAR_Racing_box_art_display_image
↑ J.G's first year.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Nascar_racing-2
↑ While you were racing you could bring up what you wanted your pit crew to do to the car the next time you came in.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Nascar_racing_screenshot2
↑ If you had the game on C.D. (as opposed to numerous 3.5" floppies), there were more tracks. Alternatively, you could buy the Track Pack as an expansion C.D.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlb0PpYVXyLUSKUdW4ri7NKpu9alO5RxipsdxvB8sNQPXi0Wuz8w

I had it on my machine at my dad's house where we eventually had 16 computers in a home network; many of them running Windows 3.12 and Windows NT Server before getting the beta version of Win. '95. This is what happens when one's dad goes all-in learning computer networking to make himself more desirable to the then sprouting Silicon Valley companies in the mid-'90s. My brother and I each had a machine and played multiplayer games using a direct connection.

NASCAR Racing allowed custom painting (pretty awesome back then), in some aspects tuning was better than this version of Forza, and pit strategies definitely were better than this version of Forza, all pre-1995.

I attended the Sears Point event in 1996 in which Rusty won. Jeff Gordon, Terry Labonte and a few other racers led a lap, and Tommy Kendall drove in place of Bill Elliott. My brother and I came home with two Goodyear Racing slicks. 1 for $5 or 2 for $8. I think they're in Maine now with my dad. When I have space for them I'll get a circular glass table top and make the tires the base of a table.

You mentioned the assortment of wings tested and I recall T-A in the '90s experimenting with different wing designs. They started with that duck-tail spoiler, then went to a deck style wing, and came back to the duck-tail spoiler. Each style of wing has its pros and cons. The pros of the deck style wing, is they can generate more downforce, though yes, downforce is drag and the dynamics of the car change with each style. Taking that design to the extreme, exhibit: Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Charger Daytona.
  • Taller wings take advantage of leverage and gravity. A wing set to create 120 pounds of downforce on a 9" tall perch, and a wing set to create 120 pounds of downforce on a 36" tall perch are not equal when measured at the bottom of the perch. The taller perch will use leverage and gravity to generate more than the wing's set 120 pounds.
  • Taller wings also get separated from the body's laminar flow, supplying them with their own flow of clean air.
  • When height is at a premium, R&D steps in. Those small "shark fins" across the back of the Mitsubishi Lancer aren't there by accident. Those keep laminar flow stuck to the car, angling it down the back window. This is to better avoid an eddy and lets its wing have clean(er) air.
  • In a perfect situation rear spoilers will bypass the body and mount directly to the frame. The goal isn't to have n-pounds of downforce compressing the springs from the top down. It's better to have downforce directly pressing the chassis into the road.

And Chrysler said it was so the trunk could open. Ha ha ha ha ha! They could've just installed smaller end plates on the trunk and the wing would've come up when the trunk opened. The damn wing is higher than the roof line. I'd say it's getting its own clean air flow and then some. It has been admitted that the higher the wing rose, the better the numbers got until it reached that 3' height. That's partially due to the first bullet point. Chrysler knew exactly what they were doing when they built those cars, they just had to come up with plausible explanations for the tall spoiler (and the air extractors over the front tires- which were for "increased wheel travel" so they say Wink ).

Stock cars are race cars. Formula cars are race cars. Le Mans Prototypes are race cars. Star Mazdas are race cars. Funny cars are race cars. The original Morris Mini Cooper was a pretty awesome race car. They vary in their speed and what they do but they all race under some sanctioning body and draw their own crowds.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 RT198701
↑ January 1987 issue and I'll ruin the article surprise. The stock car went faster. By 1987 prototypes were coming down from their insane turbo boosted 1,200+ HP qualifying engines, approaching speeds on the Mulsanne straight you could record using decimal values of mach.

Oh, there's real-life skirt in my statistics class though I'm past those games. I'm ready to look for "forever" at this point. I'd have liked to have "forever" 6 years ago but she didn't work out that way.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  C4PT41N SL0W Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 pm

This past week before the 500 I heard that next year the Cup cars are gonna run cars that look truer to the actual commercial models but they'll still probably be the Camry, Charger, Fusion and Impala
C4PT41N SL0W
C4PT41N SL0W

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Smus wrote:I think NASCAR lost it for me when you couldnt tell thr difference between a Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Toyota. To not make a necessary homologation to actual street cars lost that "win on sunday, buy on monday" attitude. I like the new look on the Nationwide cars, and i think with current chassis tech there would be.the ability to build limited number production vehicles that consumers could buy. Id love to rip around in a rwd v8 toyota.

YES!!! It's not the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing anymore.

I can't wait til next year, when the bodies will look like the actual cars.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Photo-vi

Now, if only they'd force you to run the actual engines and drivetrains that are in the cars! Mopar would be king of the ovals again!!!
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Avanti,

The Winged cars were actually tested in the NASA wind tunnels. See Chrysler was really big in military contracting at the time - especially the space and missile programs. The Saturn V? Yeah, it's a Mopar...

Anyway, the wing was not as effective when it was narrower or shorter. They tried several nose designs too. They also found that the vertical stabilizers helped keep the assend from climbing up the ovals at high speeds too, and made sure the car moved the direction it was pointed. It just so happened that the 3' height allowed for the use of the existing truck lid, so that was one less part they had to make for the production models.

http://aerowarriors.com/70dcd.html

http://aerowarriors.com/daysb.html

http://aerowarriors.com/gswtt.html

http://aerowarriors.com/naw.html

Favorite. Cars. EVAR!

Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  C4PT41N SL0W Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Simcik wrote:
Smus wrote:I think NASCAR lost it for me when you couldnt tell thr difference between a Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Toyota. To not make a necessary homologation to actual street cars lost that "win on sunday, buy on monday" attitude. I like the new look on the Nationwide cars, and i think with current chassis tech there would be.the ability to build limited number production vehicles that consumers could buy. Id love to rip around in a rwd v8 toyota.

YES!!! It's not the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing anymore.

I can't wait til next year, when the bodies will look like the actual cars.

NASCAR Discussion - Page 2 Photo-vi

Now, if only they'd force you to run the actual engines and drivetrains that are in the cars! Mopar would be king of the ovals again!!!

Is that actually a shot of next years Charger body?
C4PT41N SL0W
C4PT41N SL0W

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:Speaking of the wheels, is NASCAR still running the tube inside the tire to aid in keeping things together when there is a loss of tire pressure?

Yes, they still run the tire inside a tire.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

C4PT41N SL0W wrote:Is that actually a shot of next years Charger body?

Yep... The Fusion doesn't look bad either, but not as good as the.Charger.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Yea thats the first shot of the Mopar Cup car Ive seen and I Likey! Alot Alot. I actually like what Nascar is doing with the proposed designs for the Nationwide being the pony cars more so and the Cup cars being a sedan differing from the Nationwide pony car body.... Well atleast Dodge and Ford got that memo. Seems Boring ol Chevy is running the Impala in both and well Toyota doesnt know what the hell you mean when you say pony car but I bet they envision a car pulled by or riding on a pony and feel Americans are cruel to the poor ponies. But all in all the new differing designs in each series along with the fact that Cup guys cant earn points in the Nationwide(am I the only one that still finds myself calling it the Busch series???) will make the Nationwide class more fun to watch with the different bodies and fresh faces. Im no Roush fan at all and pulled for Elliot Sadler last year but it was so cool to see Stenhouse Jr win the title over just another runaway cup driver title run. Its the best thing for the series and makes me want to watch the races almost as much as Cup. Yea and to the tunnel point. Chrysler has their very own wind tunnel so with Penske being the only Dodge cup team they pretty much get access to the tunnel anytime they feel like it. A perk to being the only ones under the Mopar badge. I wish we would another team jump to Dodge though. I like Bad Brad but Im rather indifferent on the Dinger. But its better than Kurt the massive Douche Bag. I tried to defend him all along but he is a lost cause and good riddence I say! Laughing
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 am

Hahaha! Squid, yes Kurt is a D-Bag! I think he's the only driver that I actually dislike. Kyle's fans annoy me more than Kyle himself.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 am

I think as far as Kyle its that he looks like he has Downs Syndrome so when he runs his mouth and acts like a spoiled little Ahole I find myself grinding my teeth and wanting to kick his teeth in. I mean seriously he has the same beady eyes you see all the unfortunate folks with mental handicaps and it makes me wonder if his racing heroics are only due to his lack of mental awareness of the dangers and pure tard strength? But overall this year I think they are really the only ones I dislike.... Juan Paublo and Logano I dont to much care for but only because Sliced Bread tried to pick a fight with Happy Harvick and knew he couldnt win so resorted to wife bashing which is rather lame and well LOL JPM seems to fight everyone in the world and Im pretty sure when he picks a fight he says "My name is Juan Puablo Montoya. You touched my racecar. Prepare to die!"... all in a funny Spanish accent ala Princess Bride. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH and Jimmie starting the year off negative 23 points in the hole. Damn that sucks but I swear noone pushes the grey area of the rule book quite like Knaus and the 48 team. I bet there is about two dozen plus rules that are in there because of tricks and ideas Chad and Co tried out to get a better car. They never seem to cheat. Labeled as cheaters but fact is there was no rules saying specifically you cant do what they did. Damn well better believe there is a rule in there this week to prevent the C-pillar fiasco! Im pretty sure that Biffle laid back in order to keep his car for future plate races rather than win and have it donated to the Daytona museum for a year. Jr was glued to the 16s bumper and if Greg hadnt been dragging the brakes they would have sailed past the 17. That 16 was a front row qualifying car and had the best practice laps of anybody this year so makes me think he was scheming. Heard rumors that team orders came into play to keep the 88 from winning as well but I dont know if I believe that so much. So much drama and we still have 35 races and an All Star race to go!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:50 pm

So looking at the spy shot of the 2013 Charger body in Penske's shop no seems a bit ironic now that they are switching to Fords over the off season. Sounds like Dodge is in talks with Earnhardt Ganassi racing and Petty to see if we cant get them(Petty and Ganassi) to switch back and run Dodges again. I will hang my head in shame if next season our sole Dodge entry is Robby Gordon....

Man I thought it was great that Sadler won! Been to long since he took a win and hes needed it for awhile now. Also thought we were gonna see a Childress win again today but Harvick was a lap short on fuel so atleast he salvaged 2nd place since he and Denny were miles ahead of 3rd so he coasted back to the start finish. Also if Jimmie were to wreck next week he could possibly find himself out of the top 35 after the fifth race and have to qualify on time since at race 6 the current seasons points are used for the top 35 in points being locked in for the race. How wild would that be!?!? Youd never hear the end of it that week if it happens. Another good race though this week. I need to pick up speed channel so I can see the Race Hub and Victory Lane shows they have along with RaceDay. I havent watched the Herminator get goofy for a couple years now haha.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Yeah, awesome to see Sadler win on Saturday. He's a class act. The Cup race was good. I was glad to see Jimmie with a top 5. Denny looked good. I hated his last crew chief Mike Ford, so I'm happy to see Darian Grubb get another win. I hated to see Ambrose have issues, it would have been sweet to see him get a 3rd-place finish. I'm not sure if you saw, but Newman is a little salty after the contact with Edwards. I doubt anything will come of it, as I'm sure Newman will sleep on it and realize that it was incidental contact.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Yea Flyin Ryan has been a bit bitter and disgruntled ever since he began to struggle after all the hype stemming from his Daytona 500 win. Seems even when he has a great finish he seems a little stressed knowing its one good run and not a string. I have always liked him and hopefully he can make a real run at a title a time or two. Newman never seemed like a guy to hold a grudge either so guess we will find out in a week.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Our boy JPM crashed out again! This time in practice. Kasey Kahne on the pole.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Yea and Harvick normally quals in the 20-30 range and tomorrow he rolls off in 3rd! Usually means that 29 is bad fast but shoot all the big dogs from the first to races are starting up front so I think we might be seeing the strong teams emerge already as the cars to beat and its damn good to see JR run good. Nascar is better when hes in the Top 10. Also great to see the Biff up there as well. But -{earmuffs}- F*ck Kyle Busch still. Right in his lil autistic face! But alas I bet he would enjoy it. Like Sims Box
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm

He just bent the M&Ms car in practice!
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm

"How many Columbians does it take to stop the Daytona 500?...just Juan." -John Reese

I was perusing Jalopnik's Facebook page and found that in one of the comments. Jalopnik's page reports now that the jet driers will come with police escorts.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next