Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viper or Mopar fan? Step inside...

5 posters

Go down

Viper or Mopar fan?  Step inside... Empty Viper or Mopar fan? Step inside...

Post  Sorta05 Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Viper or Mopar fan?  Step inside... Empty Re: Viper or Mopar fan? Step inside...

Post  Sorta05 Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Also I"m just going to apologize in advanced for the Richard post... I just couldn't help myself.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Viper or Mopar fan?  Step inside... Empty Re: Viper or Mopar fan? Step inside...

Post  Simcik Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm

http://jalopnik.com/5969087/ralph-gilles-calls-out-motor-trend-driver-for-being-afraid-of-the-viper

I think the guy knows what he's talking about. He races the thing (on a professional level) himself, remember?
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 pm

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/12/gilles-calls-motor-trend-chicken
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Also:

Viper or Mopar fan?  Step inside... 4388621034_cbf462ecaf
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeah funny thing he set the track record in the vette, beating all other production cars that have ran there. But you have not failed to deliver as always Sim Smile
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

lol even the jalop article (which I have about zero respect for) calls out the chrysler guy saying if a race car driver is afraid of it how can anyone else drive the thing. Even I'll admit the race driver motortrend use's (randy?) has conceded that he was afraid to push the Z06 in a GTR match up a while back, but he said he was only missing out on tenths not seconds (which was the gap between the GTR and Z). Anyone man, I'm sure viper will come back with a much faster version soon enough. It's a boxing match between the companies, Chevy won this round, I'm sure Viper will win the next.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Well, how long till the 'Ring times show up??
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Price was the main point in this Head to Head. Vipers have always been a bit more expensive and I would have liked to have seen the ZR1 vs the Viper with the track pack. Top of the line vs top of the line. My main concern with the test was that it is a pre production Viper. Who knows how much will be the same or change. With only a few laps in each car its hard to say if the times are the best either could be. I was a lil disappointed in the lap time but loved the Drag Race! Personally even if the Viper is a tick slower it still looks better and Id rather own it over the Vette. But one thing is for sure, Both Cars Are Badass!!! Cant wait to hear the Euro snobs really troll on the C7 and SRT over the next year! Sorta I know youre super biased so I dont see this as trolling. Shoot had it gone the other way we all know Sim wouldnt be able to post it fast enough lol!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I meant more of the act of trolling, not to call him a troll. But, yes, I'm guilty too... I've wanted to post the latest Ram HD towing ratings, but I know most of you guys don't care for trucks much...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Simcik wrote:but I know most of you guys don't care for trucks much...

How Duuurrrrrrrr You! Blasphemy I say!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

I actually like the 90's viper and even considered getting one instead of the Z. Hell I"ve even considered trading the Z in for a viper to expand my horizons. I know I'm biased but I'd like to think I can concede when I'm wrong and recognize great engineering when I see it. At any rate it is awesome to see 2 awesomely fast american (well sorta since viper is really Italian now...) cars going at it.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

The European's still call it American, so I think it's safe to say that...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Because the Mopar crazed fanatics whined so much, motortrend did a video to discuss the vette vs viper match-up. Only the first 10 minutes or so deal with the match up and then they digress to talk about the Detroit auto show highlights and why cars are so heavy today. Enjoy!

Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Is it just me, or does Jonny Lieberman's voice sound similar to the voice of Adam Savage (of Mythbusters)?

The Motor Trend round table discussion summed the results very well:
  • The Viper is the first model of a generation competing against an exiting generation Corvette.
    C6 Corvette has had a lot of real world exposure and development time.
    The Viper team should make improvements for next model year based on these, and I suspect similar upcoming, critiques.
  • The Corvette chassis holds its composure through each corner for longer duration.
  • Corvette's tires and brakes are an advantage over the Viper platform.
  • Corvette Racing has learned a ton from their C5 R and C6 R ventures and have included that data in their street cars.
    One of those lessons being Corvette's separation from Goodyear (a longstanding partner) because the Michelin equipped Ferrari 550 (and later 575) teams were able to beat Corvette in their tire stints and overall pit strategy; this lesson came ≈10 years ago.
The Corvette has a wheelbase ≈7" longer and weighs 13 pounds less. I'm curious if the Viper's shorter wheelbase is felt by Randy Pobst and factors into his driving?
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:11 pm

See this was why I was wishing we had seen the Viper track pack car. Its a hundred or so pounds lighter but more importantly it has the sticky tire and good brakes on it. I think they would have had a closer match with the track pack. I do agree though Geoff that any true fan has to be able to look at the inherent flaws of ones beloved make and model. But the Viper cant be all that bad cause this!

So Ralph Gilles drove the Viper over 5000 miles in one trip through a blizzard! What a badass haha!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:18 pm

So viper wins the next round as predicted...

Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 am

That is very cool. I like the Viper TA pack, that's one very capable car.

I have the answer to Jonny Lieberman's final question: it's whatever top-line model Chevrolet has in store for the C7. So far we've only seen the Stingray and more recently the base model coupe. It's possible we see the Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR-1, or a new option package name. Chevrolet has brought back the LT1 engine moniker. Do we see a return of LT4 or LT5 … and if we see LT5, does it remain true to its DOHC quad-cam 1990s roots? Unless somebody on the inside leaks info we'll have to wait.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 am

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:I have the answer to Jonny Lieberman's final question: it's whatever top-line model Chevrolet has in store for the C7.

Thanks Geoff Madden
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I would be really surprised if Chevy did anything to respond to this...
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Chevrolet won't respond with the C6; it'll be the high end C7 model that raises the bar and very possibly it'll be two or three model years into the new generation Corvette before Chevrolet targets the Viper TA.

As far as Viper TA vs. C6 ZR-1, the Viper TA wins. On to the next generation for Chevrolet.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:Chevrolet won't respond with the C6; it'll be the high end C7 model that raises the bar and very possibly it'll be two or three model years into the new generation Corvette before Chevrolet targets the Viper TA.

As far as Viper TA vs. C6 ZR-1, the Viper TA wins. On to the next generation for Chevrolet.

They don't even make the C6 anymore, so yes they will not respond with the C6.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Ha ha! True enough.

I would not be surprised if Chevrolet had an answer to the Viper TA pack. The only reason I can think of for them not to would be because Corvette has been around since 1953, what "proving" does the car need at this point? Chevrolet will still sell tens of thousands of Corvettes every model year.

Back to a more realistic answer. Chevrolet is now (again) locked in an ALMS GT2 battle where Vipers and more battle on the track. Despite their finishing position, Vipers had a fantastic showing at Sebring. There is a lot left in that chassis and I feel the manufacturers will take this battle to the customers on the sales floor.

Generation C6 elapsed with the base model, Grand Sport, ZO6, and ZR1 options; I don't see C7 stopping with only the 'Stingray' and base models. Now, what better target to aim for than the current Viper TA? When C7 was still only a rumor we heard about a mid-engine platform and we heard of a lesser displacement twin turbo engine. These didn't come to fruition for the 'Stingray' trim but could we see a new LT(#) engine, circa 5L running with added pressure to create a new ZO6 or ZR1?
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Ex US Squid wrote:
Avanti 63r1025 wrote:I have the answer to Jonny Lieberman's final question: it's whatever top-line model Chevrolet has in store for the C7.

Thanks Geoff Madden

LOL
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm

The rumor mill (aka autoblog, etc) have put the target hp for the new Z06 at 600hp and the new ZR1 at 700hp.

Let's not forget how much more the Viper costs to go that extra .08 seconds faster either... In fact come to think of it I don't recall them mentioning the price of this new Viper. Not that it really matters as both of these cars are well out of my price range and by the time they depreciate enough for me to afford either one gas will be $20 a gallon.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down