Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Sim Rig Build

+3
StalkerStang
Simcik
TuxTshirt
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

My Sim Rig Build - Page 3 Empty Re: My Sim Rig Build

Post  TuxTshirt Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 pm

If there's anything that's unclear, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to explain either in writing or with video. Also, don't forget page one of this thread, some of the pictures help explain how I built this. There's plenty of adjustability, so keep that in mind when building yours. Make sure you mock up and get your seating position right, you can cut the pedal and wheel boards to different sizes to suit you, also the angle of the pedal board should be considered. Mine is pretty close to where the pedals should be.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Awesome rig Tux! Looks like some pretty ingenious engineering. Thanks for sharing, hopefully I can come up with something similar using your design in the near future.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I just ordered two more monitors and a triple monitor stand! I'm gonna be so broke! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hey that Jegs seat, does it work well for you? I was looking at some jegs seats. Would you recommend that one?
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu May 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Yes. The seat works very well. Keep in mind, it's not super high quality, but it functions perfectly as an adjustable car seat. For the price, I would recommend it. You may be able to find a fixed racing seat for slightly cheaper, but it wouldn't be as comfortable or adjustable.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:55 am

Check this out:

http://www.vesaro.com/

Then, look at this!

http://www.cxcsimulations.com/
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah, I've seen those top-shelf sim setups.  They are, no doubt, top of the line and amazing.  Price is where you lose me.  I could go SCCA racing for less than some of those setups.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 pm

oh snap.  I forgot to show ya'll.  Smile  Wink    I call it   The Arctic Thunder rig.  because my case is all white.  Razz
loaded with 32oz mountain dew. cop shades. g27. triple monitors. and one very uncomfertable office chair (eventuually to replaced by a bucket seat)
My Sim Rig Build - Page 3 Dsc_6510

edit:  That's also my great grand mother's desk.
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Nice setup Josh!
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Heck yeah buddy!!!  Looks great.  A little Watkins Glen action in the Shtang!
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:26 am

I'm just going to go ahead and assume you are running MONITORS and not TVs. Best Buy has 24" TVs on sale for black Friday for $80 a piece, but TVs just don't have the color monitors do. My wife just got a 24" TV for her computer because she wanted a larger monitor, and the color is off. Which is fine for what she does, mostly typing and stuff. I want a triple monitor setup, but to have 3 identical monitors I'd have to cough up a cool $500 for 2 more of what I have. Of course when my 24" blew up a couple months ago I had to go and spend money on one, an AOC 27" from Best Buy. Oy. Sad
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:55 am

TVs would work fine to this application Rem. There isn't much difference in the LCD or LED panel used in TV vs a computer monitor. The biggest differences will be the resolution (limited to 1920x1080 for a TV), and the drivers that refresh the screen. (TVs are usually faster, actually.) That being said, just about any half-decent graphics card can be set to work with a TV, especially via an HDMI cable connection.

One big issue you may see with TVs, especially cheap ones, is that the frame is larger/thicker. This could be an issue if you plan on using them to make a cockpit.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Maybe it was just my older video cards (DVI output only) but I had tried a TV last year and the color was off and I couldn't get it close to where I needed it to be so I ended up returning the "unopened" TV and DVI to HDMI cable. The 1920 x 1080 is what I run right now anyways, so that wouldn't bother me any. I could see it throwing me off having different sized side monitors than my main monitor, so that could be an additional problem. Maybe if I get 2 more 24" TVs and snag my wife's TV and gave her my monitor. And then got a better pair of video cards. Or 1 video card that's still better than my 2.
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Rem I just saw a 7870 on sale for like $120.  That would be more then enough to run 3 monitors/TV's.  I run the less powerful 6850 and don't have a problem with it's 1 gb of ram or less powerful GPU.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

I just have to pick my battles wisely, my wife definitely won't go for a new video card AND a couple TVs. Do you guys have any experience getting a TV to have monitor-like coloring? If so that'll help my case getting 2 TVs and using possibly hers and giving her my 27" monitor. I can work a triple system here if I do some creative desk work, I just would have to show my wife a proof of concept type thing Shocked
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Wish I could help, but I never tried a TV with my setup.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:22 am

What do you mean "monitor like coloring?"

The LCD/LED panels are the same - they can produce the same colors. Were you trying to run 256 colors or something? I'm pretty sure just about everything supports 32-bit color.

I have my TV (a 46", 1080p, 120Hz model) set up on my PC for iRacing and it works just fine with a 1920x1080 resolution (for iRacing - I use a 1280 x 720 resolution for my desktop to make it easier to read stuff from across the room) and 32-bit color.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm

For whatever reason I couldn't get actual color on my TV. Like, everything was way pale, and with adjustments it was either neon, or black lol. Maybe I will experiment with my wife's computer. If I can get good color there, I may be able to do this thing.bounce
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Remaggib wrote:For whatever reason I couldn't get actual color on my TV. Like, everything was way pale, and with adjustments it was either neon, or black lol. Maybe I will experiment with my wife's computer. If I can get good color there, I may be able to do this thing.bounce
Make sure it's not a setting on your TV, also.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Well, after some tinkering and discussion with a Best Buy employee for guidance, I got color on her monitor / TV thing. It's not PERFECT, but it's a ton better. I will have to see if it's her computer or not now, because it's pretty old and the video card (pretty high end at the time it was bought) only supports like 13something x 768 so that could be an issue. Also the fact that the driver for that video card is probably as old as the video card doesn't help. But she said I can have her 24" TV and it sounds like I can get a pair on Friday. Hoping I can get this going! bounce bounce bounce bounce affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Awesome! If you need more help, you have my number. I'm not only an engineer, I did some time at Best Buy (in TVs and Appliances), so - yeah, free technical support.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:39 am

What the hell bro, you have HIS number?  I thought I was the only one.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:28 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:What the hell bro, you have HIS number?  I thought I was the only one.
Yeah, sorry, have the Tux, the Sim, and the Avanti in my phone. Still no Squiddy or Stalker though Sad
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3