Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALMS rule change

+5
Smus
Avanti 63r1025
Ex US Squid
TuxTshirt
Sorta05
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ALMS rule change Empty ALMS rule change

Post  Sorta05 Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 pm

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/17/le-mans-rule-changes-for-2014-announced-engine-restrictions-eas/

I hope this propagates to the GT cars.
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

ALMS rule change Empty Re: ALMS rule change

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Sweet find Sorta. And yes, it would be sweet to see the GT cars "run what they brung".
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:35 pm

One of the awesome changes is the mandate on less "exotic" materials that you would never see on a car that costs less than 300-500k. I like that they are attempting to make the cars more consistent with production vehicles but the fuel cap per lap will be interesting to see how they police it. Depending on how the reactions and team support goes will be interesting as well. Lots of money to make all the changes for the smaller non-factory teams. But it theres lots of teams all able to adapt I figure a couple years later we will see it adapt somewhat to the GT cars.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm torn on the exotic materials rule and here's why:

Racing inspires innovation that trickles it's way into production, if you limit the innovation in materials you limit what can trickle to production cars. However, rules that cut cost allows more teams to run more races that should result in better racing.

Wish I new the best compromise...
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 pm

I see what youre sayin Sorta and I feel the same really but I think if I read correctly about it and with what Dave Despain had to say about it on Wind Tunnel was that the FIA was finding that the insanely expensive materials and innovation was used for one single purpose and that was to WIN. The tech wasnt finding its way into the average consumer vehicle so the rule change is hoping to bring more innovation that you and I would actually see in a daily driver. Time will tell if they made the right decision or if your concerns were correct
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I hope you are right and the change pans out and brings us better cars!
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 pm

I'll just stuff this in Sorta's box:
http://jalopnik.com/5939848/alms-reportedly-merging-with-grand-am-to-create-one-crazy-fucking-awesome-racing-series

I heard from another gearhead friend of mine (he follows all sorts of official forums) that we'll be hearing more information about this merger, Tuesday 9/4.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 am

I don't know whether to be elated or terrified...I really don't know how they're gonna mesh Rolex and ALMS...Get cars might be close, but prototypes are a whole new ball of wax...and what about Continental tire?
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I definitely feel this is a absorption of Rolex more for the teams and drivers than the cars. I bet DPs are gone or they become the new LMP2 or LMPC class and that GT from Rolex may become a GT-AM class. Continental will be fine and still be a companion series to the ALMS rather than the Rolex now. Wonder if Rolex will stay title and it becomes the RALMS (Rolex American Le Mans) or ALMS by Rolex?
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:50 pm

I'd go for the 2nd option. I'd like to see the DPs the prototype challenge class.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm

It's Tuesday, more information has dropped, http://www.sportscarinsider.com/the-edge/2012/9/2/the-alms-grand-am-merger.html and it raises more questions as Grand-Am bought the American LeMans Series. Also, consider this factoid: Grand-Am has a partnership with iRacing.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-details-of-alms-unification-emerge/ The comments are quite illuminating.
http://www.motorsport.com/alms/news/alms-grand-am-merger-class-clash/

Another edit: My friend who follows racing more in-depth than anyone I know says, "I predict Road Atlanta closing in less than 5 years. It's been under threat from developers for years. NASCAR won't fight the good fight. Road Atlanta closing has been rumored for years. This will seal the deal." So if he's correct, Road Atlanta will join Riverside in the great American road-course heaven. He also makes these statements "Forget about Euro. teams visiting. They won't bother." and "ALMS GT2 is the best road-course racing on the planet right now; they'll neuter that."

This section is a one-spot comparison of the two series from a vehicle standpoint: ALMS GT(2) cars can lap tracks on par with Grand-Am Daytona Prototypes. I've heard snickering that since ALMS prototypes are the faster machine, that Grand-Am will dog them and force them to be slower.
There's a video here I can't directly link. The rest of the page that loads is clipped and visible below.
ALMS rule change E81r8yALMS rule change 2qcnf49ALMS rule change 20hmyki
So in terms of Grand Touring anyway, the two series share very similar entry lists; the differences are in how they're built.

Last edited by Avanti 63r1025 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : Noted above)
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

I can't wait until I get my iRacing license up to the point where I can run the Riley DP. They have that, and a Mustang, so not all these different choices, but I like the limited selection, makes things more level. I've been trying to get my license above "Rookie", and it's a rough trek what with always being wrecked by rookies. Tux, when you joining? You'll have to say I referred you so I get like $5 credit or whatever it is lol
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Rem, I'll be joining as soon as possible. I'm hoping to have everything around Christmas time. I am closer than I thought I'd be by now, but I still don't have all of the hardware I need. Who knows, maybe Black Friday will give me the shot in the arm I need. Either way, I'm super excited.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Two-part Shakedown with Leo Parente and John Dagys covering the merger:

I went to sleep in the early morning hours of Wednesday though I set my alarm for 6:55a so I could watch the press release.

I will admit to being very surprised at the announcement. It is not often a merger goes through when one company buys another company and both are considered equals as an end product. Historically speaking, equals meant neither company spent money or both companies spent money and they became partnered. More often than not when one company spends money and the other doesn't, the purchased company dissolves. History takes the view of, "ALMS will go bye-bye."

There were a few things I noticed at the announcement:
  • They either don't have any details or they do and they won't be telling anyone about them for some time.
  • Dr. Don Panoz and Scott Atherton (currently tops of ALMS) will be board members of the new series.
  • Scott Sharp suggested Grand-Am and ALMS big-wigs meet.
  • A question from the audience brought up sponsor contracts. These should be appropriately dealt with while trying to maintain peace. That's going to be difficult.
  • The current President and CEO of Grand-Am and Vice-President and CAO of NASCAR, Ed Bennett, said something to this effect, "We don't want to obsolete valuable pieces of equipment." Okay. How do you keep these valuable pieces of equipment from going obsolete? In the Shakedown segment Leo Parente asks, "… is there going to be a big sale of cars that no longer have a place to race?" The two series have seven classes of cars between them. That's a lot of cars to be in one series. If they raced all cars at separate times during a race weekend, that would be one way to keep from obsoleting equipment.
I am cautiously guarded over this deal. The merger could be a beautiful thing but today's world sees corrupt officials and greedy bankers. Those types of people are enough to keep me on my toes. It's possible Grand-Am saw the success of ALMS and wanted to buy into that action, and this is how I hope it takes shape. I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Another thread covering the subject- http://www.racer.com/insight-industry-movers-and-shakers-on-merger-prospects/article/257750/
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 pm

I heard the conversation with our race group, hoping for Grand-Am cars to come to the Forza Motorsport franchise. That would be awesome and I've thought about that awesomeness too, except there are circumstances to the deal. I wrote this yesterday in the other forum.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News/tabid/141/Article/53018/grand-am-names-alms-veteran-official-paul-walter-new-race-director.aspx?cid=6383&sid=1

For a second I read it as "Paul Walker" and thought, "Oh dear. Do we really need The Fast and the Furious actors involved?" It's good to see Grand-Am reaching across the aisle for help as I would say A.L.M.S. has been the more successful of the two series.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Who's got two thumbs and already has tickets to the Rolex 24 at Daytona? This guy. (me). tongue Even got garage pass, too! Everybody thank my awesome g/f for that. Gonna try to stay up for the whole 24 hours. cheers santa rendeer lol! geek jocolor elephant Very Happy What a Face What a Face What a Face
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Josh that's AWESOME! I'm jealous. You have to take some video and lots of pics. It's your obligation.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm on it. I've got two video cameras (one being a go pro), and a Nikon D60 for photography. and a cell phone. I'll take a picture for ya'll when on the ferris wheel at night. Very Happy

Honestly I dunno how it'll go, but I'm excited for a new racing experience. 24 hr enduro
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Friend of mine went last year. Said it was a blast but was super loud. He tried 24hrs too...cannot remember how it went.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Not sure if you all knew about this or not but thought Id post the link about the unified ALMS/Rolex merger class structure. Supposed to be unveiled tomorrow Jan 4th. Will be interesting to see just how obvious/crazy the plan will be...

ALMS/Rolex merger 2014 class structure unveiling
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 am

This thread is as good as any. I just found this interesting little video. Check it.

TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 am

Here's another video of some phenomenal ALMS racing. I'm sure some of you have seen this already, but it's some of the most exciting racing you'll see.

TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 am

Damn, good race. Kinda think the Vette had that comin' though...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 am

WHAT? Hard racing is all that was tell the Burg went Zerg on the Vette and dumped him. I like both teams but I have to say I felt Jan got dumped.... Hard to say its dirty cause it was for the win but it was a lil bit. I agree though that it was AHHHHMAAAHHHHZZZZING! Just the type of racing I freakin love. Cant wait to see it continue on with the SRT team coming up to speed this year!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next