Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hate me if you want...

+3
TuxTshirt
Avanti 63r1025
Smus
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hate me if you want... Empty Hate me if you want...

Post  Smus Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm

...but the new Corvette looks terrible.

Hate me if you want... 2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray--launch-event-photos_100415203_l

Its a cross between the Viper and 599.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Hate me if you want... Empty Re: Hate me if you want...

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I hate you. I like the car.

Nah, I don't hate you but I do like the car. I like that team Corvette are making changes. I also like the return of the Stingray moniker. Hey! It's a Stingray with an LT-1. Just the way it was in 1970.

I like that I see C2 in the rear upper deck and I like the C3-esque front end. In a day when manufacturers have a retro theme, my feelings are that team Corvette took enough retro but made it functional for today's technological advancements.

Hate me if you want... 705098_10151426495092238_1564327882_o
Hate me if you want... 735239_10151426495622238_1815813298_n
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Clearly this is not the production version. I have mixed feelings. However, I didn't like the C6 that much when it debuted, but now I LOVE it. I think this car will be sweet once we start seeing them. I hope they either matched, or improved chassis and aero performance. We know the base engine will suffice. I should see it in person at Philly.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Avanti, sorry, but gotta agree with Smus here. That's NOT a Corvette. There is nothing on it that is unique. Nothing on it that stands out and says, "oh, yeah, that's a 'Vette."

The front end looks very, very similar to the Viper, especially the headlights.

The taillights look too much like a Camaro.

The side profile is pretty C5/C7 esque, but that common shape is shared by many, many other cars as well.

Take the badges off the cars, and put a Viper beside it, and I doubt most people would get it right if asked which is which. Or a 599, or a few others. (Like a GTR from the rear - especially a rear 3/4 shot.)

The best part of the C7 is the interior. It finally looks good and appears to have good materials.

However:

Hate me if you want... 2013-s10

Hate me if you want... 2014-c10

So, umm, yeah - is anyone else not impressed with GM's "new" cars? I mean, this is WAY better than their new trucks, at least...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

BTW, will this be coming to FM4? I would think that it would be time for another DLC. (They could share it with Horizon, too.)

But seriously, they need to add the Dart and the C7, at least.

Oh, and isn't this the production version? The car is due out this summer!
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 pm

It would have to be the production version...they're saying its the 2014 Corvette so I would assume this is the production version.

There are too many vents and gills going on...the front, the side, the top of the trunk...it would have been great if they would made them body color not black.
Hate me if you want... 2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-reveal-v2

Then the rear is just a train wreck...
Hate me if you want... P1000425-620x457

Interior looks great...aaaaand so does the Viper.

Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Simcik wrote:BTW, will this be coming to FM4? I would think that it would be time for another DLC. (They could share it with Horizon, too.)

But seriously, they need to add the Dart and the C7, at least.

Oh, and isn't this the production version? The car is due out this summer!

No...they gave it to the Japanese company...

http://www.psu.com/a017995/GT5-getting-Chevrolet-Corvette-C7-14-
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 pm

I like the front end, not the rear end. It does seem to share similarities with the Viper though. I'm not a Chrysler fanatic, the Viper is ok. Nothing against Viper, just not for me. This Corvette has some sexy lines, except for the rear end. I can take it or leave it, but that may change like Tux's opinion on the 6.
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 am

Usually, the pre-production versions(like the ones pictured) are SLIGHTLY different from the full-run versions. It should look almost like the pictures, but I'd bet there will be minor changes. The back end is definitely a bit removed from past Vettes and the lights are Camaro-esque, however don't knock that rear valance. That has business written all over it. This car looks fussed over when it comes to the aero package. That's the last thing the competition wants to hear when it comes to racing. The Corvette is already formidable.

As far as it looking like the Viper or the 599, welcome to the front-engined, rear-drive, two-seat sports car class. Sure there will be similarities. There are similarities because these designs work, and these cars compete. Let's not forget, out of the above mentioned cars, only one has been in production since 1953. I'm sure some ideas were borrowed from Corvette at one point or another. Either way, we'll see how it does. I am excited.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 am

You know, the more I read, the more I think this is what we'll see. If that's the case, I think this will take some getting used to. I love the profile of it though.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 am

http://www.chevrolet.com/new-2014-corvette/

...it's growin' on me already.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 am

Simcik wrote:Avanti, sorry, but gotta agree with Smus here. That's NOT a Corvette. There is nothing on it that is unique. Nothing on it that stands out and says, "oh, yeah, that's a 'Vette."

I do believe it IS a Corvette. I'll find out at the auto show.
Hate me if you want... C7rear
It says "Corvette" on the back. Laughing
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 am

Haha - you know what I meant.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  StalkerStang Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 am

It looks like a Vette to me.

Has an ugly ass, but it looks like a Vette.....and a GTR....
StalkerStang
StalkerStang

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 am

I just had a longwinded shpeal all worked out in my head but this car but Ill just summarize.... ITS FREAKIN UGLY. But Im a Mopar guy so it can look like that if GM wants it to. I love Vettes though so hopefully the reaction will cause GM to rethink the whole F'd front end, back end and most of the parts leading to the middle. Yucky.... No
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 am

I can't be the only one who sees C2 styling in the rear upper deck:
Hate me if you want... 1964-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-805

Hate me if you want... 1964_Corvette_Rear_Window

and C3 styling in front:
Hate me if you want... Fr10191

C7 visual checklist
Rear deck tapers? Check.
Hood low? Check.
Fenders high? Check.
Nose pointy? Check.
Chevrolet wouldn't give us a new '63-'67 or '68-'82 Corvette. Lord knows those shapes wouldn't do well in today's pursuit of making a droplet of gasoline go further; Chevrolet must move forward. I feel they added enough heritage while adding technological advancements. To tie this to the thread comparing the new Challenger with the old one, I prefer the old car's appearance. I also prefer the old Corvette's appearance. That's just me as I tend to prefer older cars.

And do we really want to go into manufacturers borrowing designs and design features? How about the wedge appearance of the late '70s and into the '90s? I doubt we've forgotten these past gems-
1st & 2nd gen. RX-7
Datsun Z & ZX cars
Porsche 928 / 944
C4 Corvette
Dodge Daytona
How similar were they? Hell, Datsun had to have borrowed a 1962 Ferrari GTO design. There are kits to visually convert your Datsun into a Ferrari (and it's a damn good kit, too!) What about the 'double hump' roof in the last RX-7, a feature also seen in the '90s Viper and other cars? Borrowing has been going on for multiple generations.

Last edited by Avanti 63r1025 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 am

They may have been borrowing some styling cues, but theres no way you'd ever mistake a Datsun for a Ferrari, sans body kit. Besides, you can do FR without being this similar...

Hate me if you want... 06-20110

Hate me if you want... Ferrari-599-GTO-01

Like the Jag XKR
Hate me if you want... 2012-Jaguar-XKR-Side-View

The Mercedes SL
Hate me if you want... 2013-Mercedes-Benz-SL-side-view-1024x640

Even the new Viper has a very unique shape
Hate me if you want... 2013-srt-viper-2012-new-y-c3a43

I would like the car a heck of a lot more if they would have toned down the black bits plastered all over the body. First you have the black grill, then the black hood vent, then the black front side vents, then the black A pillars with the black roof which slopes into more black vents on top of the rear fenders which leads to a few more black vents right by the Transformer-esque taillight bezel. If all of the black plastic would have been body color, save the front grill the A-pillar and roof and the rear defuser it would be much better in my eyes. Theres just too much black fiddly bits all over it...oh and don't for get the black wheels.

Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am

Please, let's think this through Smus.

C6 Corvette: MY debut-2005
Hate me if you want... C6profile

Ferrari 599: MY debut-2007
Hate me if you want... 599profile

Who's copying who here? I could argue your point the other way all day long. Fact is, they're both sports cars, and I'll take a Vette any day over the Jag or the Benz.

Oh yeah, and who borrowed who's shock damper design. I believe it was Ferrari doing the borrowing from GM and Delphi.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Two things:

If anything, the 599 more closely resembles the old Viper than the 'Vette. The 599 is more rounded and flowing than the 'Vette, which is more angular.

And, as Avanti pointed out, those springs aren't really a GM thing. Bose made/makes them, and sells them to several companies. GM just did a good job marketing them.
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 pm

And Furthermore, Avanti, I didn't see any C2 or C3 'Vettes with a recessed rear glass. That's more a 599 or Lambo thing in the world of Supercars anyway.

Anyway - there can be some sharing, some similarites amoungst cars, that is okay, but why outsource your entire design?
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Simcik wrote:Two things:

If anything, the 599 more closely resembles the old Viper than the 'Vette. The 599 is more rounded and flowing than the 'Vette, which is more angular.

And, as Avanti pointed out, those springs aren't really a GM thing. Bose made/makes them, and sells them to several companies. GM just did a good job marketing them.

Interpret the cars how you like. There's similarities across the board. To you, everybody would copy off of Viper and anything Mopar. We know. You're a fanboy. The context was, in other words, the Vette was copying off the 599. Manufacturers share. To call one the other, is silly. To say they look similar is accurate, because they ARE similar.

See "Ground-Based". And remember, GM owned Delphi.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Simcik wrote:And Furthermore, Avanti, I didn't see any C2 or C3 'Vettes with a recessed rear glass. That's more a 599 or Lambo thing in the world of Supercars anyway.

Anyway - there can be some sharing, some similarites amoungst cars, that is okay, but why outsource your entire design?

That's one of the blindest statements I've heard. Outsource your entire design? Take your fanboy blinders off. Dude, you state your opinions as if they're fact. They're not.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 pm

And yes Avanti, I do see the SIMILARITIES.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:
Simcik wrote:And Furthermore, Avanti, I didn't see any C2 or C3 'Vettes with a recessed rear glass. That's more a 599 or Lambo thing in the world of Supercars anyway.

That's one of the blindest statements I've heard. Outsource your entire design? Take your fanboy blinders off. Dude, you state your opinions as if they're fact. They're not.

How so? Where are the unique 'Vette only cues??? Damn, we give Porsche a hard time for not changing their 911s, atleast they're identifiable! This car looks like JJ Abrams designed it. They've had to slap a Stingray on it to keep people from asking too many questions. The C7 shares very little with the previous 'Vettes. If you squint, you can see some resemblance. From the side, 599. From the front, Viper/599, from the rear, Audi mixed with GTR., from above, 599. If you take the badges off the two cars, put the side by side, and ask people to identigy the two, I doubt most people would get them right... You can't really say that about other Halo cars. There's no mistaking a Viper or a GT40. You won't confuse a Lambo for a Porsche, or Ferrari. Mercedes, Jag, and Aston do enought to distinguish themselves, too. The C6 was fairly distinguishable... The C7 will just blend in - not a good trait for a super car...

And the fanboy thing is a little insulting - I love the Viper, but I know what it is and isn't.

Furthermore, what none of us have talked about yet is the price increase. No more $60K Corvettes. Maybe that's better for the car itself, but is the design deserving of such a price tag? I mean, lets be honest, the biggest let down of the C6 was the interior. This one looks much better, but is it? I saw that estimated prices for the Stingray top $140K. If that's the case, is the quality up to par with other cars of that price? And will the entry-level C7s get the same quality, just with less features? Or will they be cheap like the previous cars?
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I rest my case. Read your comments. "At least they're identifiable!" Implication being the new Corvette is unidentifiable. It's not even on sale yet. This happens with most redesigns. It's brand new. Once people see it, they can identify it. You ask of "Vette only" cues. What car has cues ALL of its own? Please, don't say Viper. It certainly looks different from past Corvettes, IT'S SUPPOSED TO. There are similarities though. If you can't see them, get glasses. Is the Viper more unique looking than past Vettes, absolutely. That's what makes it a Viper. But that's also what makes a Corvette. They share characteristics though. Most sports cars of this layout do. They have to. Being an "engineer" and all, wouldn't you agree that the exterior of a car is functional? And wouldn't you also agree that effective function would be shared? The job of designers is to change, while improving, while also adhering to a brand flavor. You said the rear looks like a Camaro. Well, did it occur to you that Chevy builds both cars? The designers have a direction and changes are made. I can assure you, Chevrolet's direction is not to build an SRT Viper, or a Ferrari, or a Jag.

Where did you get your price info? $140,000 will be the top slot, ZR1 territory. And before you trash the quality, learn how they are built. Corvette frame construction is some of the most advanced that can be had at all, let alone for under $90,000. They also use exotic materials throughout. As far as I'm concerned, I'll never afford a new sports car, so it's a moot point on if it's worth it.

And as for fanboy, as I've said before, if the shoe fits, wear it. I'm a fanboy too, a car fanboy. I see the good in most vehicles. I love the Viper, I love the 599, I love the Vette (not sure about the new one yet). You're on here trashing everything about this car. Your first comparison was to a Viper. You're a Mopar fan. That's all you talk about. Mopar, Mopar, Mopar, Viper, Dodge, etc., etc.... I think your opinion is skewed because you love Mopar and Vipers so much. I have no problem with your passion for your brand, shit I own two Mopars, but don't deny your bias. It's glaring.

Last, let's not forget that cars are three-dimensional, not two. We're nitpicking 2D pictures. Wait until you see one, if you can "identify" it.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next