Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It can be quite the scenic locale

+6
StalkerStang
C4PT41N SL0W
Simcik
TuxTshirt
Smus
Avanti 63r1025
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It can be quite the scenic locale Empty It can be quite the scenic locale

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am

… but only when racing season is not in session.

It can be quite the scenic locale 401215_10150660284696983_327475692_n
You all know this course, we've digitally been on it, except you see it in a different color.

A friend's brother lives not too far and gets out every so often. This was a shot he took early in February.

Last edited by Avanti 63r1025 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

It can be quite the scenic locale Empty Re: It can be quite the scenic locale

Post  Smus Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 am

It looks really nice in green.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am

That would be Sonoma. That sweeping turn in the middle of the picture is the downhill left hander on the sports car course. It's B-E-A-UTIFUL! I could set up a tent there, and stay forever.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:35 am

Can we use this for our virtual scene photo? Put one group in foreground, one in the back? Should look great!
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  C4PT41N SL0W Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Nice pic, I've never actually seen it green
C4PT41N SL0W
C4PT41N SL0W

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:That would be Sonoma. That sweeping turn in the middle of the picture is the downhill left hander on the sports car course. It's B-E-A-UTIFUL! I could set up a tent there, and stay forever.

Wait, isn't this Infineon???
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Simcik wrote:
TuxTshirt wrote:That would be Sonoma. That sweeping turn in the middle of the picture is the downhill left hander on the sports car course. It's B-E-A-UTIFUL! I could set up a tent there, and stay forever.

Yes, NASCAR folk call it Sonoma.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:
Simcik wrote:

Some still call it by its old name, Sears Point.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Smus wrote:
TuxTshirt wrote:
Simcik wrote:

Some still call it by its old name, Sears Point.

True, true...
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 pm

TuxTshirt wrote:… That sweeping turn in the middle of the picture is the downhill left hander on the sports car course. …
Yeppers, also called the carousel. Also visible are the lights for the drag strip. C.H.P. will at times hold Wednesday night drag races where teens can drag race against police officers in a controlled environment.

In the foreground is where Turn 8a splits and either goes straight or breaks to the right and continues the esses through turn 9. The turn 9 bypass is coned-off here.

A.M.A. & Indy race the turn 9 bypass configuration as it reduces their speed approaching Turn 10. Turn 10 has the potential for some really gnarly off-track excursions and speed only exacerbates Newton's lovely F = M × A findings. Reducing acceleration is an easy way for tracks to reduce potentially injury-causing force.

The above is the same reason why Indy also circumvents Turn 11. Leaving the original turn in the distance allows more space for runoff and reduces speeds for their turn, noted as 11a.

----

I like calling it Sears Point as that is the geographical location where the track was built. Infineon is this company and bought rights to have their name on the facility. I don't like this whole, "We'll pay to get our advertising out" bullhonkey, especially when something is named for a geographical location. Earth has been around for a lot longer than your dumbass company! Candlestick is still Candlestick to me because it was built at Candlestick point.

I feel differently if a company fronts the money to build a stadium/complex, there they have more pull in the naming. If Cisco helps build a new ballpark and the A's can divorce the Raiders, I'll hump Cisco's leg at their beck-and-call. Fuck the Raiders.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  StalkerStang Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Teens racing local cops, sounds like a disaster to me, about the same driving ability....
StalkerStang
StalkerStang

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:29 pm

StalkerStang wrote:Teens racing local cops, sounds like a disaster to me, about the same driving ability....

lol!
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  C4PT41N SL0W Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:
TuxTshirt wrote:… That sweeping turn in the middle of the picture is the downhill left hander on the sports car course. …
Yeppers, also called the carousel. Also visible are the lights for the drag strip. C.H.P. will at times hold Wednesday night drag races where teens can drag race against police officers in a controlled environment.

In the foreground is where Turn 8a splits and either goes straight or breaks to the right and continues the esses through turn 9. The turn 9 bypass is coned-off here.

A.M.A. & Indy race the turn 9 bypass configuration as it reduces their speed approaching Turn 10. Turn 10 has the potential for some really gnarly off-track excursions and speed only exacerbates Newton's lovely F = M × A findings. Reducing acceleration is an easy way for tracks to reduce potentially injury-causing force.

The above is the same reason why Indy also circumvents Turn 11. Leaving the original turn in the distance allows more space for runoff and reduces speeds for their turn, noted as 11a.

----

I like calling it Sears Point as that is the geographical location where the track was built. Infineon is this company and bought rights to have their name on the facility. I don't like this whole, "We'll pay to get our advertising out" bullhonkey, especially when something is named for a geographical location. Earth has been around for a lot longer than your dumbass company! Candlestick is still Candlestick to me because it was built at Candlestick point.

I feel differently if a company fronts the money to build a stadium/complex, there they have more pull in the naming. If Cisco helps build a new ballpark and the A's can divorce the Raiders, I'll hump Cisco's leg at their beck-and-call. Fuck the Raiders.

I still call it Sears Point too... and The Stick will always be The Stick. Kinda wished the Giants still played there even though AT&T is a beautiful park to play ball (or just look) at
C4PT41N SL0W
C4PT41N SL0W

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:06 pm

I live an hour or so away from there (without traffic). Anyone been to a 24hrs of Lemons race there? It's going on this weekend.
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Yea I cant stop calling it Sears Point either and the same thing goes for the Busch Series although Im getting better at calling it the Nationwide is on your siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide series.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Simcik wrote:Can we use this for our virtual scene photo? Put one group in foreground, one in the back? Should look great!
That would be cool and physically possible though difficult to the über degree. Unfortunately Forza 4 won't let us match this perspective. We could take a Forza shot in this location and with lots of Photoshop time (properly resizing and matching of perspective), could morph our cars into this picture.

See schedule forum for update on end of series photo.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 pm

http://www.racesonoma.com/media/news/whats-with-track-name-change.html

No longer named Infineon Raceway. WOOOOO HOOOOOO! I'm calling it Sears Point!
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Foamy_302 Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 am

This and Laguna Seca have always been massive favorites of mine

Foamy_302

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151974622280276&set=a.137106105275.228301.122315180275&type=1&relevant_count=1

And just like that the version Turn 10 modeled is outdated.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Looks like they may have to actually do some work and re-model it for the next game. affraid
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm

They kinda simplified the heck out of the back half with more straights I suppose for accel and decel sections for passing opportunities. First glance I guess I like the old Full config and Nascar better than this but Ill hold off and hopefully catch the race before I make any real judgments. I prefer the S's though.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 pm

An aerial photo of the track in 1969. The drag strip is the darkened road in the middle of the photo.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Looks way different until you start to really look at it and notice that its pretty much the same ol track.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on ze bass Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm

I like how the road course goes onto the drag strip on T1.
Josh on ze bass
Josh on ze bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Returning to Squid's mention of preferring the esses configuration over the esses-bypass configuration, you're definitely not alone. Many people love racing through the esses. AMA and Indy car run the esses-bypass and insert the tight turn combination there at turn 9. If those two series traveled through the esses, clipped turns 9 and 10 like everyone else, they would abso-fuckin-lutely be flying into turn 11 with a lesser margin of error for braking; the esses-bypass route limits their top speed going into turn 11. These alternate configurations, to include shortening turn 11 varying distances, are in the name of lowering speeds prior to the braking zone. AMA and open wheel cars don't have the rider/driver protective shell inherent to other vehicles.

It all reminds me of the bumper sticker- "Remember when hot rods were dangerous and sex was safe?" Bringing up the irony that now you can wreck in a dragster and walk away from it, but sex has the potential of killing you.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum