Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

GT6 and Drive Club

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GT6 and Drive Club

Post  Smus on Sat May 25, 2013 8:05 am

Well, as some of you may know, Gran Turismo 6 will not launch with the PS4. Instead it will launch for the PS3 only and then most likely be ported over to the PS4. Interesting article on why they aren't doing that...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/24/sony-explains-why-gran-turismo-6-is-launching-on-ps3-not-ps4/

My favorite bit is this line here.

"And the other factor is that on PS3 we have an install base of 70 million units," Ryan added. "On PS4 on launch day we'll have an install base of zero units. There'll be plenty of games to help drive PS4 – not least Driveclub in the racing genre from Evolution Studios, a studio with a fantastic pedigree."

So I'm going to put on my fanboi hat and say only this, I guess Sony is concerned that they're not going to sell very many PS4's at launch. No need to get their prized possession dirty by not selling many units. Back to normal mode.

The big driving title for the PS4 launch is something called DriveClub put together by Evolution Studios, the company responsible for most recently the MotorStorm series and previously the WRC series of games for the PS2. Game looks beautiful but I have a very distinct feeling it will be very Forza: Horizon-esque in that it has a limited number of cars on some very expansive tracks. I guess some are saying it's a racing simulator but based on the past games by Evolution Studios I find that hard to believe, unless they are using and engine from Polyphony. Graphics looks great, thats for sure. It'll be interesting to see the launch list for cars. I like the idea of "team based" racing, but I have a feeling as well it'll just plummet into someone is the basher while the others go ahead and win the race.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GT6 and Drive Club

Post  Smus on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:38 am

Looks as though the doppelganger for Forza Horizon on the PS4 is, and will be, Drive Club.  Emphasis added.

Drive Club is Sony’s first big racer for the PlayStation 4. It’ll arrive at launch, and the title will be one of the games that PlayStation Plus subscribers will get with their subscription. Touted as a beautiful, social racer with genuine details that racing lovers are sure to embrace.
We got a chance to go hands on with the upcoming racer at E3 2013, and the game certainly lives up to the next-gen hype as far as visuals go. While it’s always hard to take in the scenery in racing games because of its zooming past you at 100mph, Drive Club is an instantly noticeable improvement over current-gen racing titles.
Drive Club plays loose and fast, reminiscent of Microsoft’s Project Gotham Racing series, and it’s got plenty of similarities in it’s ghost challenge system and car club features. It’s certainly not the simulation style racer that Gran Turismo 6 is, and doesn’t feel like its even a competitor to Microsoft’s Forza Motorsport 5 because of its more arcade-like feel.
In our demo, we used the PlayStation Eye to compete against a local network of players. Each player was identified with a real picture taken by the eye. Times, Drifts, Cornering, and Top speed challenges were littered across the track, and we were competing with all of the other times set for the day in the game. It was slice of the social elements that have been touted in Drive Club. As it was explained to me, players look to gain “Fame” by completing these challenges against real world players, adding to an overall score for your car club.
The overall feeling I got from Drive Club is that Sony’s first racer for the PS4 will be a more casual experience. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but those looking for the depth and feel of the Gran Turismo series, likely won’t find it here.

Apparently you get the game FREE FREE FREE, with your paid PlayStation Plus subscription...although content will be reduced and DLC

Drive Club PS Plus Edition
 will utilise a free-to-play business model, Sony has confirmed.

Speaking with Digital SpyDrive Club design director Paul Rutchynsky said that the PS Plus version offers the same core experience, minus some of the content.

"With the PlayStation Plus edition, we're offering the core features of the game to everyone who's got a PlayStation Plus membership.   "What that means is that all the game modes, the single-player experience is all there in the PlayStation Plus version. The only thing that we're limiting you on is content, and that content is cars and tracks.  "You can play online multiplayer, you can do asynchronous challenges, you can take part in the face-offs, and the social goals etc. But if you want to get all the content you can buy that separately.
Praising the free-to-play business model, Rutchynsky believes it will help generate interest in Drive Club.  "I think free-to-play is a great model, and I think Sony has been very keen to offer that as a model.   "Free-to-play is so successful on other platforms, so why not bring it to the PlayStation 4? It's just a great way to get Drive Club out into so many people's hands."

Rutchynsky also revealed that Drive Club will be supported with new competitions, challenges and content months after its launch.  When asked whether new content would be free or paid, Rutchynsky said that it would be a combination of the two. 
The game will put a focus on team-based racing, with players able to compete online both asynchronously and at the same time in dynamic challenges.  It will feature a first-person perspective, letting players walk around their cars and inspect the engines as a character rather than through a menu.  Developed by Evolution Studios, the team said they are painstakingly modeling every aspect of the car interiors - down to fibers in the seat fabric - for a complete sense of immersion.

Golly gee, that sounds an awful lot like both Forza 4 and Horizon...not to mention the fact that you're stuck in 1st person mode will kill it for some players.  I know we don't mind it, but to be honest I have a hard time seeing softcore racer fan guy or gal wanting to be stuck in a first person view 100% of the time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 pm

My biggest issue with Drive Club and The Crew is the over saturation Social Media and constant attitude that you have use twitter and Ipads/tablets to succeed in the game.  I HATE social media honestly.  Im also the minority though.  I prefer, outside of Forza, to have a single player game where I get to play the game my way at my pace.  Seems that most gamers these days dont want that though so oh well.   The reliance on Multiplayer is not my preference so it will save me money since I wont have to many games to choose from haha.

Win The Day! I love my Ducks!
Ex US Squid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:55 am

I didn't realize that you HAD to use social media to be successful in the game...that would be terrible.  I'm with you, I don't want people on facebook or twitter to know what I'm playing as I really don't care what others are playing either.  I do wonder if the PS Eye will be a part that will be "strongly encouraged" to get personalized avatars as was mentioned in one of the articles.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 pm

You dont have to Smoose but the game mechanics are set where if you like to win or be successful in games then you need to use it.  Its the same kind of format as "free to play".  You can play for free(or in this case with out the social media/tablet) but your experience will be small compared to the experience you could have by buying the items in game(in this case by using the tablets and using twitter, etc..) because the advantage you get.   How much in The Crew do you think will be flooded by Microtransactions????

Win The Day! I love my Ducks!
Ex US Squid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top