Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission ratios

3 posters

Go down

Transmission ratios Empty Transmission ratios

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Adhering to the keep it simple, stupid theme I did not allow race transmissions in these cars because that would've allowed for six-speed gearboxes. Were there an option to maintain a four-speed gearbox but allow some flexibility in the transmission ratios, or if there were a way for me to tune a race transmission and lock the gearbox but allow you to adjust the differential, I would've allowed those. Be it as it may, I allowed the sport transmission so racers can alter the differential gear.

While testing I have found (and have heard about) cars with transmissions starting with close ratio gear splits between one two and two three, and a wide ratio gear split between three four. Should you select one of these cars there are two ways to combat the problem:
  • Select differential gears in the range of 2.82:1 to 3.08:1 and make the transmission a close ratio three speed. Or …
  • Select differential gears in the range of 3.70:1 to 4.62:1 and make the transmission a wide ratio two speed.
The wide ratio two speed is a viable option because these cars are big block equipped and make copious amounts of torque. The combination of a wide ratio gear split and the numerically high differential gear makes fourth gear pull very well. One isn't limited in tuning either. If some tracks we visit feel better with a three-speed and others feel better with a two-speed, be my guest and make changes between races.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Transmission ratios Empty Re: Transmission ratios

Post  Ex US Squid Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Good points Geoff and also a good thing to remember is that as the ratios get shorter (your ring and pinion ratio becomes a bigger number) the dead or lugging feeling you have when shifting into 4th gear will be less and less.

You may find that switching a cars 3.23 rear end gear to a 3.91 or 4.10 will make 4th gear a solid usable gear for some short to mid range tracks and only need to use the 2 or 3 speed trick for a track like Road America.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  abinmyveins Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Sounds good for the O2 cars.  The U2 cars are a little less torquey.  LOL.  I'm trying to play with different gear ratios for the 510 especially.  The pinto isn't bad at all.  But still not as good as a 5 speed.

abinmyveins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum