Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Newest Car in the Garage

+2
Avanti 63r1025
Simcik
6 posters

Go down

The Newest Car in the Garage Empty The Newest Car in the Garage

Post  Simcik Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 am

Wow, this thing is flat-out awesome.

Can you tell what it is?

The Newest Car in the Garage GetPhoto

This should give it away...

And if it didn't, here's a glory-shot of me breaking in the Brembos and warming the tires after a quick trip to the paint booth.

This thing will be killer in AIX! So much more low end torque, it is rediculous! And with VVT, you don't sacrifice any top-end to get it!

Lick-cay ere-hay, rag-day ouse-may own-day, ee-say ecret-say essage-may.

Okay, so if you're a Mopar fan, you're probably wondering how I got one? Well, I Pre-Ordered Forza Horizon! WAIT! Don't hate! It get's better. The best part of the whole deal is, now that I have gotten the car, I can cancel the pre-order! Which means I don't actually have to buy Horizon. This works by going to either Amazon.com, or Best Buy and simply pre-ordering the game, wait about 48 hours (I pre-ordered mine Saturday night, and got the code this afternoon.), get your code, download the Challenger, then cancel the pre-order. Unless you want to purchase Horizon, in that case keep it, as the perks of early pre-ordering can be quite nice (Remember the FM4 Pre-Order deals?)

There is no catch.

Be aware, Best Buy charges a $5 Pre-Order fee at the time of purchase. This goes toward the game if you keep it, which is billed at the time of shipping and/or pick-up. It's a down payment, if you will. If you cancel the order, the $5 is refunded.

Amazon.com was not charging any fees at first, but I have heard that they may start charging a re-stocking fee, as Amazon's system was the first to be exploited as such, and it is all over the FM.net forums. (Why?)

My advice, if you want the car, get it NOW - before this spreads too far and the businesses (or T10) change something...

FYI, this font color (the background color) is #121111.

Last edited by Simcik on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

https://forzaroadracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Newest Car in the Garage Empty Re: The Newest Car in the Garage

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 am

It's looking really cool there Sim!

I will end up pre-ordering Horizon once I return to CA though I'll just let it fly. My curiosity has been piqued by what I've heard so far. I'll use Horizon how CO shooter dude should have put to use Grand Theft Auto … to escape from reality for a bit and blow off steam.

ee-say ou-yay ater-lay!
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm

So I pulled the Pre-Order on Amazon and they sent me the code literally about two seconds after I confirmed the order... Looking at the numbers I feel that I just found the perfect Modern CMC series.... With all the cars available(no Boss Leguna Seca or ZL1) that built to AIX specs and kept right at 3500lbs the SRT8 392, SS Camaro, and 2000 Cobra R are all super SUPER close on specs and numbers. Would make for some awesome racing. Plus we could adjust the HP both up or down to preferences of the racers.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

I suppose I could get it, but really don't see myself using it, and would probably forget to cancel and would end up buying Horizon which I don't plan on doing. It looks decent, but personally I've never been a fan of killing a model, then bringing it back and making it look goofy. (Camaro comes to mind) But, I don't mean to put a carrot in your salad (see jokes thread) so glad for you that you got it, you'll have fun with it!
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Yea but Rem Dodge got on some hard times and couldnt afford to make the Challanger throughout the years... I think its freakin awesome that here 30 years later we have the Pony car wars again! Plus Dodge washed the carrots first so the salad is fine!!!
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Rem. brings up an interesting point. The new Challenger looks good … until you sit it next to an original one. The lines and proportions just look off to me. That goes for the retrostyled Camaro and Mustang too. I know manufacturers now are building-in requirements unheard of in the '60s and '70s and maybe these requirements are what throw off the lines.

Call me nostalgic, call me anal, call me whatever you like, I just prefer the original pony car bodies to the new stuff. Maybe that makes me a cougar hunter? And I don't mean the Mercury Wink An original exterior with new underpinnings and new driveline is my preferred way to go. I think that's called the Pro Touring style these days? Modern brake and suspension technology paired with new crate engines contained in original packaging. R R R! Gimmie!

I forgot the company, maybe it's Ford? Stalker can fill us in on my memory as I need to defrag my braindrive. Somebody is selling new Mustang bodies of the 1960s style. That's pretty cool.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qe_-MrKaoU&feature=BFa&list=LLNta1-ipcQOqvk4ykfoYalg

^^^ Best Mercury ever.

But yeah, Avanti put it best, seems we share the same opinion on cars sometimes afterall!
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Are you guys freakin kidding me? Look at the monstrosities that Ford raped into the late 70s Mustang stylings.... Yea it looks different because its 30 years newer... No car looks the same decades later in styling when parked side by side to the old car. Out of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger I have to say the SRT is by far the best looking and I like it as do most muscle car guys. I know Im acting like Tux here(dick) but you and Rem are by far the minority in this case. Car looks good and goes fast. Your honor the defense rests and motions to throw this case out.
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 am

Maybe I missed something...

The Newest Car in the Garage Dodge-challenger-4

The Newest Car in the Garage Chalsrt8_oldnew

The Newest Car in the Garage NEW_AND_OLD5

The Newest Car in the Garage Draft_lens17971176module153463281photo_1316532308old_and_new

The Newest Car in the Garage Attachment

scratch
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Ex US Squid wrote:Are you guys freakin kidding me?
Nope.
Ex US Squid wrote:Look at the monstrosities that Ford raped into the late 70s Mustang stylings....
I agree. That was a "late 70s thing" though. Not many cars looked fabulous at that time. Drugs were popular, man!
Ex US Squid wrote:Yea it looks different because its 30 years newer... No car looks the same decades later in styling when parked side by side to the old car.
Ford did a pretty good job in upsizing the GT40 10% to become the 2005 Ford GT. I was hoping they would have named it the Ford GT44 for two reasons. 1) The original cars were named GT40 for the roof height in inches. 44 is 10% larger than 40. 2) While I haven't measured or seen any numbers, if Ford stayed true to their 10% dimensions increase, the 2005 Ford GT should have a roof height of 44".
Ex US Squid wrote:Out of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger I have to say the SRT is by far the best looking and I like it as do most muscle car guys.
I like the Challenger, I like the Camaro, and I like the Mustang. I like that we have the pony/muscle cars today, I just prefer the lines of the original '60s and '70s cars to the lines of the new versions we have today.
Ex US Squid wrote:I know Im acting like Tux here(dick) but you and Rem are by far the minority in this case. Car looks good and goes fast. Your honor the defense rests and motions to throw this case out.
The cars do go fast, I agree with you there. You say the cars look good, that's where I disagree.

Simcik wrote:Maybe I missed something…
You might have. Thank you for posting the images as they reinforce what I was saying about how the new Challenger looks good until you put it next to an original one. I don't have access to my photo software here though I'll for sure examine the pictures once back home.

I'm going to bring in what I learned in my photography classes for this one. When matting a picture, one doesn't cut a mat to be equal height top and bottom. If you do, the picture appears to be sliding down out of the mat once hung on a wall. It's just a trick on the eyes. Top and bottom borders can be the same 2 3/8" thickness and it just doesn't work visually. In order to counter that, one cuts a mat to have more thickness (1/4" for ex.) at the bottom than the top. Then everything appears to be equal to the human eye.

↑ There are times when an intention to do right (like cut a mat evenly top/bottom & left/right) makes the end result look more wrong than right.

Two pictures show a lot: The one where 1970 & 2008 are nose-to-nose, and the plum crazy pairing. The new version just looks more box shaped than the old one. The new version looks taller height wise and shorter length wise. Look at the two grille locations. That to me does-in the new one, I can stop looking there. The old car has good ebb & flow in its lines, it looks more slender and better cut. Yes, the designers may have gotten the windshield, door, and B-pillar angles identical but I'll still take the '70 Challenger.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have taken retro-styling cues and inserted them into new cars. That's fine and I understand about model line progression. Having said that, the new versions are bigger and bulkier than their older siblings and I believe that detracts from their style.

They are what they are and this is what we're getting. If I were to win any of the three (Hell, all three) playing Wheel Of Fortune, I wouldn't kick them outta bed. I am thankful after a brief loss of Chevrolet's Camaro and a longer loss of Dodge's Challenger (I'd still like to see a Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar, and Plymouth 'Cuda) that we have a trio of pony cars with us in today's world.
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:00 pm

I believe the new Ford GT's height is 43".
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:...The one where 1970 & 2008 are nose-to-nose, and the plum crazy pairing. The new version just looks more box shaped than the old one. The new version looks taller height wise and shorter length wise. Look at the two grille locations. That to me does-in the new one, I can stop looking there. The old car has good ebb & flow in its lines, it looks more slender and better cut. Yes, the designers may have gotten the windshield, door, and B-pillar angles identical but I'll still take the '70 Challenger.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have taken retro-styling cues and inserted them into new cars. That's fine and I understand about model line progression. Having said that, the new versions are bigger and bulkier than their older siblings and I believe that detracts from their style.

They are what they are and this is what we're getting. If I were to win any of the three (Hell, all three) playing Wheel Of Fortune, I wouldn't kick them outta bed. I am thankful after a brief loss of Chevrolet's Camaro and a longer loss of Dodge's Challenger (I'd still like to see a Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar, and Plymouth 'Cuda) that we have a trio of pony cars with us in today's world.

[The new Challenger is bigger - about 10% in all directions.

The boxy appearance is caused by the reinforced and wider-set rocker panels on the new model. Also, the wider stance of the wheels contributes to this.

The grille is positioned correctly in relation to the hood, however the front bumper hugs the ground more on the new model, creating the illusion that the grille is out of place. There is also no chrome bumper to break up the lines on the original model...

The windshield and B-pillars do not match at all. The new version is much more raked.

Aside from the 05-10 Mustangs, no other car has come so close to copying the original. (With the exception of the 911, but that's another story...)

You chould check these guys out...

The Newest Car in the Garage Retro-2

The Newest Car in the Garage Retro-1

And read this...

And look at this...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm

The pics Simcik posted actually point out most that the New Challenger is a modern interpretation of the old car. It will never look exactly like the original. It was created to give you that nostalgic feeling of the original but to bad mouth the looks because it doesnt look just like the original as opposed to objectifying the looks themselves as it stands is borderline trolling my friend... I can dig that you dont care for it as much as the older but at the same time the new one still looks good. If you prefer the old one there are many out there and you could purchase one or a picture of one but it doesnt mean you need to go looking for reasons to complain unreasonably that the New Challenger is unattractive solely because when parked to a model you like better you prefer the older. Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions so I wont tell you not to but in some cases like this, when disagreeing, I will atleast attempt to show that you are more heckling than criticizing and like on the vids on YouTube we all know comedians freaking hate hecklers Laughing
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I found some '05 Ford GT measurements. Motor Trend supercars.net and Wikipedia range from 1125 to 1130 mm tall (circa 44.3").

Simcik wrote:The new Challenger is bigger - about 10% in all directions.

The boxy appearance is caused by the reinforced and wider-set rocker panels on the new model. Also, the wider stance of the wheels contributes to this.

The grille is positioned correctly in relation to the hood, however the front bumper hugs the ground more on the new model, creating the illusion that the grille is out of place. There is also no chrome bumper to break up the lines on the original model...

The windshield and B-pillars do not match at all. The new version is much more raked.

Aside from the 05-10 Mustangs, no other car has come so close to copying the original. (With the exception of the 911, but that's another story...)

Hah! Yeah, that poor Volkswagen Beetle. Porsche keeps finding ways to squish it out or stretch it or slightly change its appearance, though it's definitely unmistakeable as a 911.

Regarding the grille, I was framing each Challenger's grille in terms of distance from the pavement; it just looks high on the new car. The older car's nose looks lower even though the new car has a front bumper extension that gets closer to the ground. The chrome accents and bumpers on the old cars definitely play a role in directing the eyes and separating lines that otherwise blend on the new cars.

Unfortunately there's an industry movement to fit 20" and larger (22s? Fuck that noise!) diameter wheels under cars today. I like 17" & 18" wheels and that's the largest of my preference. With these larger wheels come a need for larger wheel wells. Once you have larger diameter wheels and larger wheel wells an avalanche of necessities arises.

The guys at retrousa.net bring an interesting idea to market and it's quite interesting to see SRT working on an updated Challenger (or Barracuda). Someone out there has a kit to make the new Camaro look like a '70s Firebird T-A.

You know what irks me the most? Federal government has stepped in and mandated so many things get built into a car, that the car is now being laden with about 2 heifers worth (1600 lbs.) of unnecessary weight. Federal mandates are a band-aid fix. The root of the problem is, U.S. drivers cannot drive! If Tux were in charge of D.O.T. and could remove every mouth breather from the road, we wouldn't need federal mandates to protect us from ourselves.

This country didn't get the Porsche 959 because Porsche didn't want to wreck examples to find out where the car needed reinforcement. We didn't get a lot of cars (like McLaren F1) because of other mandates. Government should blow it out their ass! They're getting too big for their britches and I want them downsized!
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Avanti 63r1025 wrote:I found some '05 Ford GT measurements. Motor Trend supercars.net and Wikipedia range from 1125 to 1130 mm tall (circa 44.3").

Good call. I just found it myself, wikipedia has it at 44.3". I thought I remember Clarkson saying 43" on one of the Top Gear episodes.

Oh, and as far as looks go, it's as objective as Pepsi vs. Coke. I personally like the looks of the new Challenger. But as you stated Avanti, there are mandates that hold manufacturers to standards that may affect the looks of a car. Certainly, modern rules prevent cars from looking like the old ones. Having said that, I think Dodge did the best job of the retro look out of the three ponies.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

I just don't much care for the newer Dodge cars. The older ones were ok, I'm not a huge Mopar person in general. I like the Mustangs then and now, those are my favorites in the Mustang / Camaro / Challenger / Charger debate. I don't know, something to me makes the new Dodge cars themselves look like mouth breathers, but again, just my opinion.
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 pm

With Clarkson's famous pauses, 44.3 could have sounded like 43. Cool

Good conclusion Tux. I can go with that.

Squid, I'm not bashing anyone on this forum and I have stated that I would definitely not turn down any of the cars were I to win one. They do look good. I mean look at me, I followed and enjoyed 1990s T/A when their windshield rake and brake lights were all that had to be homologated in their street car counterpart.

If I'm bashing anyone, it's the fact new designers have to incorporate so much government mandated bullshit into their designs, that they can't reproduce closer lines to the earlier versions. 15" wheels upsized 10% would be 16.5". Round that up to 17" and hey, we have a good start in my opinion. 17s can even fit under some 1960s and 1970s cars without too much hassle. Too bad the current trend calls for gi-fucking-normous wheels *vomiting smiley goes here*
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:53 pm

CAFE killed the car...

More to come here later - spent a lot time studying this for a research project. Will try to find the report later...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 pm

How much crap can the government possibly require they put into cars? Keep in mind the Smart car is street legal, and that's nothing more than an enclosed seating area with a couple boat trailer tires and a go-kart engine.
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 pm

According to this months MotorTrend, there is a Barracuda in the works, an SRT Barracuda.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1209_3_srts_for_the_road/

I like the Challenger, I like the Mustang, I don't care for the Camaro. I find the proportions too far off relative to the other two, namely in the grill region (the angle from center to headlights seems so drastic) and also the different interpretation of the taillights. It's too much like the early 2nd gen camaros, and nothing like the 1969 Camaro that was the supposed inspiration. I like how the Challenger has the large bar taillights, how the Mustang has the triple tails on each side which fit with the retro styled pony cars.

Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ex US Squid Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 pm

I feel the Cuda is unnecessary and makes it seem like Dodge is attempting....errr Chrys....errrrrr SRT is attempting to bring back to many old classics remade. If done right Im sure it will be neat and the pic Sim posted of the Challenger-Cuda looked good but you run the risk of watering down the line up with to many choices that could affect sales but Im just going off past history.

NOW that lil Miata killer(I hope haha) looks kinda sweet... The body could use some work but the idea of a tiny sporty Mini Viper is freakin cool. I wanna see more on the MiniME
Ex US Squid
Ex US Squid

Back to top Go down

Post  Simcik Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 am

Pretty sure that Miata-killer is dead. That is the Demon. It was a concept way back in 2007.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/demon.html

If I understand the Challenger-Cuda thing correctly, the next pony car is to be smaller than the current Challenger and should be out in 2014. Also, while the designers want to keep the retro styling, they don't want it to constrain them too much. They have a good thing with the Challenger, and they feel that the retro styling works well with it. They are affraid that changing the body style drastically could create issues. The guys who like the Challenger because it's retro won't want the new one, and they guys who would want the new car would be turned off by the name of the heavy Challenger.

Changing the name to 'Cuda would allow them alter the body style greatly without taking anything away from the Challenger, which is why it is being considered. The name 'Cuda has a good conotation, and they have already proved that if the car is good enough on it's own, people will accept the retro name even if the car isn't an exact copy (I.E. Charger, Dart).

Also, as some on Allpar have speculated, the 'Cuda could be the name given to the Avenger's replacement. Let's hope if they go the mid-size route that we get a full line-up of Sedan (Barracuda), Coupe, and Convertible ('Cuda) in RWD please...
Simcik
Simcik
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 pm

The platform is also gonna be used by Alfa Romeo...

The Barracuda will be based on Chrysler's new LA rear-drive platform, which is downsized from the full-size LY platform (Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger), or the Challenger's previous-generation, LX RWD platform. Fiat also will use the LA platform to underpin several of its cars, most notably the replacement for the front-drive Alfa Romeo 159 and likely a successor to the larger, BMW 5 Series-size FWD Alfa 166 produced from 1998 to 2007.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down