Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forza Road Racing
Welcome to the Forza Road Racing site, racers Please login.

If you have not yet registered, please do so using your X-Box Live Gamertag and be sure to setup your profile accordingly.
Forza Road Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!! Whooooooooohooooooooo!

+2
Avanti 63r1025
TuxTshirt
6 posters

Go down

STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!  Whooooooooohooooooooo! Empty STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!! Whooooooooohooooooooo!

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah boys!!!!! I did the Stock Car Experience at Pocono today and it was friggin' AWESOME!

We started off with about a 45 minute session of information and some videos. They gave us procedures, then took us to a car to get acquainted. Then, they took us in a 12 passenger van around the track at about 65 mph to learn the line and understand the visual cues and cones they had out. It was on to pit road to get suited up and get the option to add a ride with an instructor first. Uh...hell yeah I took the ride! It was supposed to be three laps, but due to traffic conditions on the track, he took me for five laps. Let me tell you, the first time going into turn one seemed extreme, but by the time we were at turn 2, I was already used to the sensation. It's amazing how quick you adapt to it. I was glad I did the ride along for two reasons: My learning curve wasn't as steep, and it was a blast!

Onto the drive. I was assigned the 88 car (just victorious yesterday), and started directly behind the instructor. My buddy followed me in the 90 car. We were instructed to keep a 4 car-length gap to the car in front. We were also told that most people don't follow close enough, as confirmed by watching others on the track. The flagman at the start/finish line is our only means of communication and he would signal to us to either "Close up" if too far back, or "Back off" if following too close. The instructor would increase speed each lap if we were able to keep up. Well, I was never told to do either and I was pumped. I really focused on keeping my gap. I fired the car and left pit road. We had to be in 4th gear by the last cone they set out, so I couldn't really drag race it of pit road, but I pulled 3rd gear pretty hard and I was impressed to say the least. You start out pacing behind the lead car at about 5000 rpm and increase from there. By the end, I maxed at 7600 rpm, around 150 mph according to their chart. The car had much more in it and I could tell he was pacing us, as I had to back off a little down the front straight to maintain my gap. It was still amazing. These cars grip for days! I never once felt unplanted even throttling hard out of the turns, especially turn three which is pretty flat (6 degrees). I found myself driving more aggressive than they told me we would be just to keep up with the instructor. They set cones out to mark the track to aid you. A yellow cone before turn-in to indicate when to roll off the throttle, an orange cone when to turn in, a green cone at corner apex to tell you when to roll back on throttle, then an orange cone at corner exit. There's white squares painted on the track every 200 yards or so through the corners to mark the line and where to put the car. Mostly, just follow the instructor. I found myself staying on the throttle through the yellow cone and backing off just before the orange, then getting back on the gas before the green cone. I had to touch the brake pedal a few times into the tunnel turn because I was getting close to the instructor. That seemed to be my best corner. All in all, it was fantastic.

I have some pics and videos. The fastest drive-by was a little blurry, but you get the idea. I'm the orange 88 car, 2nd in line.

Here's the 6th lap. It's a clearer video, but not the fastest I went.

Here's the last lap. A little blurry, but the fastest speed.

Last edited by TuxTshirt on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!  Whooooooooohooooooooo! Empty Re: STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!! Whooooooooohooooooooo!

Post  Avanti 63r1025 Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Slick stuff. I like Pocono. The layout may be left turns though the tri-oval is a different approach. I like that one could land a small plane on the front stretch, that bugger is long!
Avanti 63r1025
Avanti 63r1025

Back to top Go down

STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!  Whooooooooohooooooooo! Empty Re: STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!! Whooooooooohooooooooo!

Post  TuxTshirt Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Here's one of the pictures you can purchase at the event. That's me in all my glory, shit eatin' grin and all.

STOCK CAR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!  Whooooooooohooooooooo! Withcarscan
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorta05 Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Sweet Tux! Sounds like you had a blast. Cool vids and pic! Have you done any other tracks?
Sorta05
Sorta05

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Sorta05 wrote:Sweet Tux! Sounds like you had a blast. Cool vids and pic! Have you done any other tracks?

No, just Pocono. I'd like to go back though, and do the more advanced stuff. Eventually, after enough seat time and money spent, you can actually run door to door with an instructor.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 pm

That's awesome Tux, glad you were able to do it! Pocono had to be a blast!

My run at the Milwaukee Mile was a bit different, 45 minutes of class then some slow pace laps then basically run as fast as you want (or in my case until the rev limiter kicks in 1/3 way down the straight) for 7 or 8 laps. I actually ran more than that because I passed the other 2 cars a couple times (slow pokes) and they got the allotted laps. Unfortunately they didn't get the camera in my car in time so I don't have any video of me driving, at least none that I can readily put up on the interwebs.

Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm

About how fast did you go Rem? I was thinking about that, because Pocono and Milwaukee are different.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Remaggib Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 pm

They don't know because all the cars were different. What I do know, is that I was commenting on how slow my car was and how it could have gone so much faster, then I found out that I had the fastest student car that they had. I had heard figures of 120mph but I don't know if it was that fast. If my Garmin GPS would have still been working I would have put it in my pocket to find out Laughing
Remaggib
Remaggib

Back to top Go down

Post  TuxTshirt Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Well, they modeled turn 3 at Pocono after Milwaukee. 120 sounds easily believable, I was pulling pretty hard out of three and I know I was running at least that fast. And it felt fast. I would say you were rockin' pretty good, because you had much less straightaway to work with than I had.
TuxTshirt
TuxTshirt

Back to top Go down

Post  Smus Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 am

That looks like it was a total blast! I wonder if they have that at Iowa? That would probably be the closest track to me, otherwise it would be Milwaukee.
Smus
Smus

Back to top Go down

Post  HarlenAss Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I know what your speaking of !!!! I got the chance to do the Richard Petty driving experience at Kansas Speedway in 05'. Man you are so right, I was driving nowhere near the limits of traction. 8 laps paced by pro... if you managed to hang in there they would pick up the pace each lap. Little tuff keeping the separation right between you and the leader at 4-5 car lengths. I would run up on him on corner entry, they told us to roll out of the gas at designated cone, enter corner, hit apex an back into the gas. Just wasn't nessessary to roll out of throttle at all, car would turn in with no protests at speed. Tried to test how much grip was available in corners, I hammered throttle at apex and came hard down off the banking apexing in the very bottom of turns 2 & 4. Car stuck like glue. Kansas speedway is a 1.5 mile track, on straight I was hitting 7400 rpm @ approx. 160 mph. Lap average was 136 mph, second fastest of our group of 18 guys. All in all a great experience, but over in the blink of an eye. Man if they would just have let me keep going and going; I was nowhere near what I feel I could have done with 20 more laps of driving. Great to hear your and Rems experiences. I also had the biggest shit eatingest grin on roll out and coming in. I have plans to attend a sports car driving school sometime in the next few years, were talking 5-6 days of instruction and course work.
Oh yeah!!!
HarlenAss
HarlenAss

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down